Insteon ControLinc Usage

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:44 pm
dvottero offline

Insteon ControLinc Usage

Hey all. I've upgraded the majority of my X10 system to Insteon, and it's been working great so far. The goal of my upgrade was to eliminate all of the "occasional problems" that would surface. I've managed to fix them all, except one:

In a distant part of the house, an X10 RF Keypad that communicates via a W800RF32 would sometimes fail to trigger. My "fix" was to replace it with an Insteon ControLinc. However, when I use the ControLinc buttons to trigger an action group -- and not a light that has been directly paired with the ControLinc -- I get inconsistent results.

On the ControLinc, one can control (5) lights. I have (3) lights in the room. Here's my setup:

-For buttons (3-5), I have them synched to the lights directly.
-For buttons (1-2), I have each individual button triggering an Action Group via Indigo.

The hope was that when you press button (1) On, you'll get this message in Indigo:

Code: Select all
Received INSTEON "ControLinc" on (button 1)

...Tie that to an action group, and then the action group is triggered. Easy.

However, the first time I press button (1) ON or OFF after an extended period of time, I've been receiving the following in Indigo. It does NOT happen if I individually turn on or off one of the lights directing using buttons (3-5) first.

Code: Select all
Received INSTEON "ControLinc" start brighten (button 1)
Received INSTEON "ControLinc" stop brighten (button 1)
or
Received INSTEON "ControLinc" start dim (button 1)
Received INSTEON "ControLinc" stop dim (button 1)

Any suggestions on any tweaks to the ControLinc so I can regularly trigger an action group using it? Or updates to my action group trigger in Indigo (1.8) so this will work? I've tried re-syncing the ControLinc -- and before I did anything, I did a factory reset on it.

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon ControLinc Usage

That is very strange. The Event Log is showing that the ControLinc is sending out the wrong command. It is acting like you are press-holding the button instead of doing a brief press. I presume you are not holding it down, correct?

What firmware version is your ControLinc reporting? I've tested a few different versions and am not seeing this problem, but maybe you have a newer (or older) one.

If you had a spare LampLinc you weren't planning on using, then you could try linking it to buttons #1 and #2 to see if that eliminates the problem like it did for #3 to #5.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1