Possible bug in PowerLinc scene creation

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm
Korey offline

Possible bug in PowerLinc scene creation

Creating PowerLinc scenes generally pulls the devices current brightness level into the scene, lately I have found when adding dimmer devices that are at 0 (zero) or a relay device that is OFF, they will be aded to the scene at 100% and ON.

Seem incorrect :?:

Indigo 7.1
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 1.13.20 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 1.13.20 PM.PNG (489.6 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug in PowerLinc scene creation

Indigo has always had this behavior. When adding new links it uses the current device brightness level, but only if the level isn't 0% (or OFF). In those cases it uses 100%. This was a trade-off to avoid confusion/mistake of adding devices to a scene and then wondering why they are turned OFF when the scene is activated.

INSTEON groups/scenes are a bit confusing in that there are 2 scene activation commands (ON and OFF). When the ON scene command is activated all of the devices in that scene go to their predefined levels. In most cases those levels are ON (or some brightness > 0). When the OFF scene command is sent all devices in the scene go to OFF. The way scenes are used vary based on what the user is trying to do. Some folks send the OFF scene command first to deactivate lights in a group, then send the ON scene command for the scene they want, whereas others have modules in their scene that they do indeed want to turn OFF as part of the scene command sending the ON.

I can definitely see the argument to be made to use the module's current state as the default, even it if is OFF, but I think that would just push the confusion down to a different level (when the user turns ON the scene and then wonders why the devices turned OFF). Either way, I think it is going to be a bit confusing.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:06 pm
Korey offline

Re: Possible bug in PowerLinc scene creation

Thanks for the clarification Matt!

--
Korey

Page 1 of 1