Zero experience troubleshooting SwitchLinc Relay

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am
Different Computers offline

Zero experience troubleshooting SwitchLinc Relay

Last night I noticed the sole SwitchLinc Relay I have installed stopped responding to commands.
Code: Select all
   Error                           "Foyer Lights" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Still works manually.

If it's in the On position, indicator lights are as normal.

In Off position, again as normal unless I send a command, then it blinks red.

What is there to do here? I confirmed it's not the PowerLinc because X10 devices controlled through that still work.

This is the ONLY Insteon device I have, and it has been working 100% since I installed it about 5 weeks ago.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Zero experience troubleshooting SwitchLinc Relay

Try factory resetting the SwitchLinc (per its manual) then re-sync it in Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:56 am

Weirdness: tried pulling the air gap for 10 seconds. 1st time it did nothing. 2nd time the reset happened in about 3 seconds instead of 10, as shown by the controlled lights turning on.

But no control from Indigo, however Indigo IS receiving status changes from the switch:
  Error                           "Foyer Lights" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   Received INSTEON                "Foyer Lights" on
   Received INSTEON                "Foyer Lights" off

The manual says to be sure to remove any links for the switch--but this switch has no links. It just controls the light it's hard wired to.

I'll try removing it from Indigo and re-adding it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 am

Put the switchlinc back in inclusion mode:
 PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 3C.4C.95)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 46.CC.59, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 46.CC.59
   PowerLinc                       Linking - no response from device

That last line repeats over and over.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I think the module might have malfunctioned.

However, are you sure the factory reset "took?" It is tricky to perform. Unless they've changed it in newer models you have to pull the LED pipe out wait several seconds, then push it all the way in to a depressed state and hold it there for 10+ seconds. The movement from the out state to the depressed state has to be fast and is difficult to perform. I've done it hundreds of times and still have problems with it.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:09 am

I'll give it another try, especially as the manual said 3 seconds pressed in.

OK, this time the switchlinc made a long tone, then the light turned on, which https://www.manualslib.com/manual/77587 ... tory+reset says is sign of successful reset.

Still no response.

Posted on
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Has anyone seen one of these fail in this way, where it sends notifications of state but won't respond to commands?

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you try to resync after this last successful factory reset?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 am

Yes. No response.

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm with Matt that it's probably a failed switch then.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1