Weird behavior of OutletLinc (2663-222)

Posted on
Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:54 pm
boisy offline

Weird behavior of OutletLinc (2663-222)

Hello all,

I spent the day troubleshooting reliability issues with my Insteon setup here at the home and office building. Based on some tests, CFL bulbs that I have in a few fan lights are causing major reliability issues. Those are going out as of today.

The weird thing that I've encountered is an issue with a relatively new OutletLinc (2663-222) Insteon device. This is the device with both top and bottom controllable outlets.

The top outlet consistently turns on and off and reports back its status, but the bottom outlet is iffy. I would say about 25% of the time it works. The other 75% it fails to acknowledge or even turn on or off.

Just wondering if this sounds abnormal. You would think the two outlets on the same outletlinc would have identical communications issues (or success).

Posted on
Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Weird behavior of OutletLinc (2663-222)

The bottom outlet can only be controlled by extended INSTEON messages. Those are longer (many more bytes) and more susceptible to power line noise issues, so it doesn't surprise me that the bottom outlet would be less reliable in some situations.

Posted on
Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:12 pm
boisy offline

Thanks Matt. That would certainly explain it.

I'm still on the hunt to make my communications more reliable, so I hope to improve on this. Thanks again.

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 pm
lazlohollyfeld offline

Wow - i wish i read this sooner - I just sent an outlinc back b/c it was so intermittent - the replacement is doing the same thing!

Is there a reason why you cannot add a bottom outletlinc outlet to a scene? I am able to add the top outlet, but not the bottom.

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:15 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Link it to the top device and choose the 2 outlet/group from the other popup. From a linking perspective everything lives on the main (first device). It is a bit confusing for some of those INSTEON devices that are represented in Indigo as device groups.

Page 1 of 1