[ANSWERED]: "send failed (no acknowledgement)" error

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 2:29 pm
erose68 offline

[ANSWERED]: "send failed (no acknowledgement)" error

I've been using a Powerlinc2413U for about two years with two SmarterHome 2443 Access Points. Not had any trouble until this morning when I tried to send an "on" command to one of my devices and got this error: "send failed (no acknowledgement)." I can no longer get the status of any of the Insteon devices that I use. I've checked the access points to ensure they are properly set up on different bands and that they are both working. I tried resetting the PowerLinc 2413U by removing it from the outlet for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and holding the 'set' button for 3 seconds. I've disabled and re-enabled the Insteon interface in the Indigo client application and I still get the same unhelpful error message. Are there any other steps I can take to try to figure out where/what the problem is?

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: "send failed (no acknowledgement)" error

Copy/paste the contents of the Event Log window after you try to turn on/off a few modules.

Also try plugging a lamp or appliance module into the same power strip as the 2413U. Can you control it there?

Lastly, you might want to try moving the 2413U to different circuits/outlets using an extension cord. That will help rule out severe power line noise on its current circuit as the culprit,

If none of that helps, and you know the USB cable is good, then I think the 2413U has malfunctioned. They have 2 year warranties.

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:38 am
jtburgess offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: "send failed (no acknowledgement)" error

I have a similar problem using a 2413U interface. I first noticed it when I came home after a long weekend and the house was dark!

Here are some test results:
When I send to an Insteon device, i sometimes get an error, but other times I get nothing in the log, yet the device remains off.
But when I turn on an insteon wall light switch, I see that event in the log -- so my interface is receiving!
Also, I can control old X-10 devices with no problem, so it is transmitting at least those simpler codes.

I have a second USB serial driver which I use with an Arduino (ESP NodeMCU 12E actually), but that has been working fine without affecting Indigo, and it has been unplugged for a few weeks.

I've tried restarting Indigo,
unplugging and re-connecting the 2413U -- which seemed to work once for a short time,
and rebooting the entire system.

Does that seem like a hardware failure of the 2413U, or what else could it be?

One last question ... assuming it is bad hardware, what is the current recommended USB interface to support both X-10 and Insteon?

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Your module might be marginal or malfunctioning, but I'm not sure yet. Try the extension cord trick I mentioned above, and also swap the USB cable and different USB ports.

Copy/paste the Event Log results showing the errors you are having too.

We still recommend the 2413U for Insteon and X10 control. It is pretty much the only USB option available that supports both of those protocols.

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:00 pm
jtburgess offline

Thanks, Matt.
I went to try your suggestion with the extension cord, and this time the U2413's light never turned green.
In fact, it never turned on at all :(
So I guess it was indeed dieing, and now its totally dead. Sigh.
Thanks to Amazon, I'll only be without automation until Monday. :)

Posted on
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:50 pm
jtburgess offline

To complete the tale, I received my new 2413U today (I love Amazon Prime), and plugged it in.
Indigo immediately went into sync mode, and replaced all references to my old device with the address of the new one.

Presto, I'm back in business again :D

Page 1 of 1