[ANSWERED]:Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter VS. PLM 2413U

Posted on
Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:03 pm
DU Lou offline

[ANSWERED]:Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter VS. PLM 2413U

Every time I have a power hiccup I need to reset my PLM and accomplish a resync. I am fairly certain all of my Insteon devices are at minimum RF with most being dual band. What would be some reasons to not switch to the “Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter”? Smarthome lists it at 49.99 but it is currently out of sock until 3 Oct 2014.

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2448a7-portable-usb-adapter.html

Thanks,
~Lou

Posted on
Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter VS. PLM 2413U

I have the plm behind a zwave switch. If it hangs I recycle the power for the plm. Works well. Major issue I found is the USB connection to the mac. It does not like to be behind an external hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter VS. PLM 2413U

Your 2413U locks ups are likely either caused by power line noise, or brown-outs/surges that are causing the 2413U to get into a bad state. The former might be preventable by user FilterLincs or moving electronics/appliances around. The latter is harder to prevent, of course.

You probably will find the 2448A7 more reliable if you are having lockups. It will be a bit slower because it will require an additional "hop" in the mesh network to reach your modules.

They could also be caused by USB issues, so as Karl suggested avoid using a USB hub.

Posted on
Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:34 pm
DU Lou offline

Re: [ANSWERED]:Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter VS. PLM 2

Thanks for the feedback Matt and Karl,
I believe I recall reading elsewhere that Insteon does not like USB hubs so I have had my PLM plugged directly into my Mac for some time now. I am going to order a 2448A7 and see what sort of performance I get when it arrive in October. In the meantime would I be able to combine both suggestions? That is have a Filterlinc plugged into the outlet, a Zwaive on/off switch plugged into the Filterlinc, and finally the PLM plugged into the Zwaive switch?

Full disclosure, I do live in the lightning capital of the world :) But actually until this past week I have had to reset my PLM only a few times since I started using Indigo. Now it seems to be a daily occurrence. Also, when unplugging the PLM I have to wait a few hours (not 10 seconds) before it will take a reset. Maybe there is some residual charge that needs to clear?

In any case, I am pretty certain that this PLM is on its last leg so I have ordered a new 2413U which should arrive today. I just hope I don't have to replace them every few years.

Thanks again,
~Lou

Posted on
Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Lou,

Yeah, it does sound like your 2413U is malfunctioning to me.. Hopefully your replacement won't have the lockups.

FilterLinc -> Z-Wave Appliance Module -> 2413U

would give you control to reset it via Z-Wave. The FilterLinc may help prevent it from locking up but note it will also prevent the 2413U from being able to send/receive power line commands, so in that case your 2413U will be acting like the RF-only 2448A7. Should still work though if it is within range of a dual-band module.

Posted on
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:51 pm
wideglidejrp offline

My 2413U stopped working after I rebooted my iMac. Any reason for that? My interface is set to Serial port: usbserial-A60332TQ same as before. Seems strange that a reboot would kill the 2413. Any suggestions?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Actually, that isn't that strange if you happen to be hitting Apple's bug we talk about here. In particular there can be a problem where the FTDI installed driver doesn't override Apple's built-in (and buggy on older Macs) FTDI driver. The result is that the PowerLinc will be found and work if it is unplugged/replugged, but won't be found if you restart your Mac. If that is the specific symptoms you are consistently seeing (that is, works if you manually unplug/replug the PowerLinc, fails if you reboot), then the solution is to remove Apple's built-in FTDI driver, so only the good driver is found. The blog talks about the steps involved.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:41 pm
wideglidejrp offline

All was working fine with Catalina until a recent reboot. Unplugging/replugging does not make it work. Does that suggest the 2413 may be defective?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:44 pm
wideglidejrp offline

Thought so. I have bought a number of them. They only last a few years. Too bad there is not a more modern and reliable technology for Insteon networks. I tried the 2448A7 but, as you said in an earlier post, it was noticeably slower in response time.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Page 1 of 1