W700RF32 questions

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:58 pm
Geoffb offline

W700RF32 questions

I just purchased and installed a W700RF32 unit and plugged it into my USB port. I opened the Keyspan Assistant but don't see anywhere there or in Indigo that would allow me to tell the Indigo program that the W700RF32 is plugged in... I have tried triggering a Eagle eye Motion detector only a few feet from the antenna and it won't register on the log as triggering...Initially I removed my computer from being plugged into the UPS after it was determined that the UPS might be preventing Insteon signals from being picked up by the computer. When it was unplugged, the computer worked fine, picking up the Insteon signals AND the X10 signals as well. Following some recommendations I purchased the Smarthome Filterlinc and installed it between the UPS and the wall... now I can still pick up Insteon signals but now it won't pick up the X10 motion detectors or any other X10 signals...anybody have any suggestions for getting the X10 signals from the motion detectors to register? Is the only way NOT to use the UPS unit? Thank as always...

geoff

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:10 pm
Alexander offline

(No subject)

Hopefully it was a W800RF32. ;)

The configuration is in Indigo's Preferences, Interface tab, check "Enable RF receiver interface" and set the type and port it's connected to.

The W800RF32 and RF X10 devices (like the motion detectors) have absolutely nothing to do with your powerline, so for RF, it doesn't matter how that's set up.

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:30 pm
Geoffb offline

W800RF32

Alexander, you were right about the model being W800RF32, not the W700RF32. I did as you suggested, (thank you for the information about where to find the place to tell Indigo about the RF) but I am still not registering the activity of the Motion detectors.

As I mentioned in the prior post, in my set up before Insteon, I had a couple of X10 Wireless Motion detectors which, when triggered, sent a signal to an X10 RF receiver, into which I had plugged a light. When the motion detectors went off, they triggered the light to come on. These ON/OFF signals were logged by Indigo, but now for some reason they are not being logged anymore... as a result I can't use them ( the wireless motion detectors) to trigger Insteon lamp modules which is what I was hoping to do... any other suggestions? Any other way to determine if the W800RF32 is working as it is supposed to work??? thanks again

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:31 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: W800RF32

If you are not seeing commands from the motion detectors in the Event Log, then something isn't configured correctly with the W800RF32. Did you install the latest Keyspan drivers (download from their site)? And did you choose from the Indigo Preferences dialog the serial port name for the Keyspan (it will be the one that is NOT "modem", "bluetooth", etc.).

Once it is connected and the preferences are setup correctly, all X10 RF commands should be logged in the Event Log. You might try moving a palm pad remote or motion detector right next to the W800RF32 to eliminate the problem being the RF range.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:18 am
Geoffb offline

feeling a bit stupid....

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information. However, the solution turned out to be even much simpler... apparently, once you change the Preferences in Indigo, they won't take effect UNTIL you restart the computer... I can remember when you needed to do this in some of the older pre-OS 10 systems and even in some later versions but, if I recall ( which I may not given my record on this one) usually you are prompted to restart the computer... since that was the only thing I hadn't tried yet, I did do a restart and all seems well now... thanks for your advice which is always welcome...now that I have finally gotten most things functioning, ( still have the wall switches to hook up) I am in Insteon/Indigo Heaven!!!!

geoff

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: feeling a bit stupid....

Hi Geoff,

Great -- glad you got it working. FYI, you definitely do not need to restart your computer after changes made inside the Indigo preferences. But you would need to restart the computer after any type of driver install (like the Keyspan).

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1