Old SwitchLinc and Insteon Compatibility

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:27 pm
wallachee offline

Old SwitchLinc and Insteon Compatibility

Are all of my old Switchlinc switches going to be compatible with the Insteon switches, or do I have to replace all the switches I already have installed.

Really I'm cnofused about the differences between the Insteon Switchlinc and the old switchlincs.... From my understanding the main difference is improved reliability...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Bradley

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Old SwitchLinc and Insteon Compatibility

Your existing SwitchLincs should work fine. The new SwitchLinc V2s work in a dual mode -- you can use them as normal X10 switches by giving them an X10 address, or you can use them as INSTEON switches by linking them with other INSTEON devices (like the new PowerLinc V2). INSTEON offers improved reliability and speed over X10, and it gets more reliable the more INSTEON modules you have (the opposite is true with X10).

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:47 am
wallachee offline

(No subject)

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me why you need to have two SignaLinc RF's...if you don't have them will the switches still work?

Also, if you could, what is the difference between these two switches other than the price tag?

INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 Relay
Icon ON/OFF switch

-Bradley

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

The SignaLinc RFs bridge your 2 110V power legs. Without them, you may not be able to reach SwitchLincs on the "other" power leg.

The ICON has lower specs, but it still is a fully functional X10 and INSTEON switch. It also has a single green LED that cannot be changed.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1