totally new to this world

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:24 am
cejero offline

totally new to this world

So I'm new to this, but of course you know this, because you read the thread title. I currently have no setup (not X10 or Insteon) So I've got a couple questions that I'm hoping people can answer.

1) Thru Indigo can I have RF X10 Motion Detectors turn on INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 (Talking via INSTEON not X10 compatibility mode) or do I have to wait until

2) I've got 2 switches that control the same set of lights (ie: overhead kitchen lights) and understand that to be a 3-way situation. Do I purchase 1 SwitchLinc V2 and an ICON Dimmer to have a 3-way thing go on or 2 Switchlinc V2s or what... I can't really find an answer to these.

3) If I have controllable Dimmer switches inplace (INSTEONs) then I don't need to use X10 receptacles in the walls correct? I'm only controlling lights at this point anyway, no HVAC, or coffee machines.. Just lights which i want controlled via motion detectors at sunset and night.

My goal is to develop my house with the capability to upgrade and add new features and capabilities as they come, and not limit myself in any way. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris-

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:04 pm
Alexander offline

Re: totally new to this world

cejero wrote:
1) Thru Indigo can I have RF X10 Motion Detectors turn on INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 (Talking via INSTEON not X10 compatibility mode) or do I have to wait until

Yes. You'll need a W800RF32 and a serial adapter to get the X10 RF into your Mac, then an Insteon PowerLinc to get Insteon signals out. Indigo 1.8 can then handle bridging the X10 RF to Insteon powerline.

cejero wrote:
2) I've got 2 switches that control the same set of lights (ie: overhead kitchen lights) and understand that to be a 3-way situation. Do I purchase 1 SwitchLinc V2 and an ICON Dimmer to have a 3-way thing go on or 2 Switchlinc V2s or what... I can't really find an answer to these.

It looks like you can use 2 Icon switches (or any combination of SwitchLinc and Icon) in a 3-way configuration no problem. For a summary of differences between the SwitchLinc and Icon lines, go to Smarthome's Icon product page, scroll down and click "Click here for more product info" to get a nice little chart describing the differences.

cejero wrote:
3) If I have controllable Dimmer switches inplace (INSTEONs) then I don't need to use X10 receptacles in the walls correct? I'm only controlling lights at this point anyway, no HVAC, or coffee machines.. Just lights which i want controlled via motion detectors at sunset and night.

Correct. The switches themselves control the load. If you have existing wiring where a switch controls an outlet that a lamp is plugged into, you want to make sure you never plug anything other than a lamp into that outlet--you don't want to "dim" an appliance. This would apply to ordinary dimmer switches too, of course. (Alternatively, you could get Insteon relay switches, which aren't dimmable, but can switch pretty much anything.)

I have an "X10 motion detectors to Insteon wall switches via Indigo" setup myself, and it works beautifully. If you're willing to do some configuration, Indigo allows you to pull off some pretty complex logic. For example, I have "zones" set up with multiple motion detectors and lights in each zone. Any motion detector in the zone can reset the "turn off" countdown for that zone. I'm also messing around with a custom AppleScript that fades lights on or off over a 90-minute period at dusk and dawn. Fun stuff, if you like messing with that kind of thing. :)

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:05 pm
cejero offline

(No subject)

Yes. You'll need a W800RF32 and a serial adapter to get the X10 RF into your Mac, then an Insteon PowerLinc to get Insteon signals out. Indigo 1.8 can then handle bridging the X10 RF to Insteon powerline.

Is the W800RF32 the only option for getting motion detector RF into the powerline to talk to Indigo or is there another option like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/4005X.HTML

I would like to limit the number of adapters I have plugged into my iBook controller.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:42 pm
ssmiller offline

(No subject)

Is the W800RF32 the only option for getting motion detector RF into the powerline to talk to Indigo or is there another option like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/4005X.HTML

That unit will allow you to get one house code and only one house code per RF Base onto the powerline and into Indigo. This will be much slower than the W800RF32 which can accept all house codes; plus X-10 wireless security and extended codes. A slightly cheaper but less capable option is the MR-26 from X-10, it will do all 16 house codes and will also require a serial adapter to go directly into your computer but has very limited range and only receives "basic" x-10 signals.

I have the MR-26 in my house but I would go with the W800RF if I were starting new.

Scott M.

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:55 am
Alexander offline

(No subject)

With numerous motion detectors (currently 10), I have encountered a situation where one detector sends a message at nearly the same time as another, causing one or both of the messages to be lost due to interference. I was able to resolve it by configuring the detectors to suppress most non-essential messages, but it shows that X10 interference can be a serious problem. If you put the X10 signals on the powerline, and send Insteon commands over the same powerline, I suspect that you may not be able to create a sufficiently reliable system. (Insteon may be able to cope with the traffic, but X10 will not.) The W800RF32 and MR26 read RF signals and pass them directly to your computer, totally bypassing the powerline.

If you're relying on motion detectors to turn on lights, they really have to be fast and 99%+ reliable, or frustration will result.

I would recommend a powered USB hub hidden away if you're trying to cut down on USB clutter. I have the W800RF32 with a Keyspan adapter, the PowerLinc, and a LabJack all on one powered hub connected to an old PowerBook without problems.

If cost is an issue, the MR26 may also work, but a couple of X10 security sensors can be a great addition (mailbox, door sensors), and I also heard good things about the range of the W800RF32--again, reliability. (The security sensors are handy, but should not really be considered "security" because X10 is not an acknowledged protocol, and the messages can be interfered with in the same way as the motion detectors above. In my real-world use, it is very rare for a message to be dropped, but it does happen.)

Page 1 of 1