Smarthome announces new X-10 to INSTEON translator

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:05 pm
Threadhead offline

Smarthome announces new X-10 to INSTEON translator

From Smarthome.com:

Upgrade to INSTEON and Still Use X10
With the Translator you can keep many of your X10 only devices while upgrading to INSTEON-enabled products. Now you can use any X10 controller or keychain remote to control INSTEON devices. Also, if you are using devices that are not yet INSTEON-enabled such as hard-wired panels, home automation controllers, X10 motion sensors and more you can utilize the full power of the INSTEON network with this Translator.

http://www.smarthome.com/2414x.html

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:44 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Smarthome announces new X-10 to INSTEON translator

Very interesting. I noticed the USB cable is for Smarthome programming only, so it sounds like you aren't supposed to hook it up to a computer directly. I wonder how one sets up the X10 command to INSTEON command mapping exactly.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:53 am
gmusser offline

(No subject)

Am I right in assuming that the new translator is aimed at users who don't program their systems? Or is there some role it would play in a PowerLinc-equipped system as well?
George

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:05 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Correct, it says not to use the USB port to connect it to a computer, so I think it is aimed at non-computer controlled systems. Could still be used with Indigo, but I'm not sure how necessary it would be.

Matt

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:59 pm
Doughboy offline

(No subject)

I think this would be useful for other HA software such as Homeseer which does not have Insteon support yet. All you need to do is make certain the X10 path to the controller is reliable.

As far as programming, I bet it involves something similar to other Insteon methods (eg. press Translator for 10 seconds, Press Insteon device for 10 seconds and then send X10 address 3 times). I think a USB interface with a PC/Mac software programmer would be simpler.

This device is not needed at all with Indigo Beta 1.8. Indigo can be made into a translator that does the same thing! Just make a trigger action that sends Insteon commands based on X10 events or vice-versa!

Page 1 of 1