Insteon i3 New Product Support?

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:22 am
MontyPySpock offline

Insteon i3 New Product Support?

I saw that the new Insteon is introducing new hardware line called "i3" that looks pretty cool (more modern look/features and even field-upgradable firmware yay). They're also now producing the existing hardware line, thank goodness, including PLMs and other necessities.

Will Indigo be supporting the new i3 line of products like the i3 Dial and the i3 Outlet, along with newer items in the line as they debut?

BTW, for anyone interested in the new Insteon, here's the latest Lunch with Insteon Zoom recording (access code is "zu.2Hs$U"). The first part has to do with their Director program, which we Indigo users don't care about, but starting at about the 15 minute mark they start talking about the hardware and then take Q&A that has a lot to do with the traditional Insteon hardware as well as the new i3 line.

Posted on
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon i3 New Product Support?

Thanks for sharing the Zoom recording. We have a meeting scheduled with Insteon to discuss the new product line. While we don't want to give a firm commitment until we have all the technical details, the plan is to support the new modules.

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:32 am
jalves offline

Interesting developments!!! Looking forward to more info.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:12 pm
sgtwicki offline

I just installed one of those new Insteon i3 dial devices. I really like the feel of the "analog" dimming knob.
Of course, it won't sync with Indigo yet. I'm looking forward to support for this device.

Posted on
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am
jltnol offline

just wondering if the new hardware is an faster to respond than the older modules....

Posted on
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:27 pm
sarahcat offline

From information I can glean from insteon.com, they refer to 'dual band' as 900 MHz wireless and powerline. That implies that the protocol for i3 and for the existing Insteon devices are the same. Do the current Insteon devices require specific support for each device, since all existing Insteon devices are all supported. I never replaced any Insteon with a competing technology, since they have been rock steady reliable for years. I do have some Z-Wave locks and sensors, and I gradually built up a stock of Insteon devices and an interface, even before I heard about the change of ownership.

Since one person commented that their new i3 'knob' dimmer will not sync with Indigo, it would seem that there might need to be another protocol option for i3 devices, similar to the drop down menu for Z-Wave and X10. Is that a good guess? It does appear, from insteon.com, that Insteon's new hub supports both legacy Insteon as well as i3 modules.

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 am
sgtwicki offline

They are still Insteon, so it shouldn't be a new protocol option. What they'll have to do is support the new i3 "engine".
If you look carefully in the "define and sync" setting of a device in Indigo, you'll see below the model type and address received is the firmware version. In there, it lists the Insteon "engine" that is being used e.g i2 or i2CS.
We'll just have to be patient while they look into these new i3 devices.

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:22 pm
sarahcat offline

They are still Insteon, so it shouldn't be a new protocol option. What they'll have to do is support the new i3 "engine".
If you look carefully in the "define and sync" setting of a device in Indigo, you'll see below the model type and address received is the firmware version. In there, it lists the Insteon "engine" that is being used e.g i2 or i2CS.
We'll just have to be patient while they look into these new i3 devices.

Understood. Insteon sells its “Director” application, which presumably is Insteon protocol, only. I assume it’s Windows OS, but I’m not certain.

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

They are sending us some dev samples of their i3 modules so we can add support for them. They hopefully just need a device definition added. Can you copy/paste the Event Log window results after you tried to Define & Sync it into a reply for me?

Posted on
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:53 pm
sgtwicki offline

PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
PowerLinc Linking - received module button pressed from 60.12.85
PowerLinc Linking - sending engine version request to 60.12.85
PowerLinc Linking - received engine version 02 from 60.12.85
PowerLinc Linking - sending id request for device information to 60.12.85
PowerLinc Linking - received id request response from 60.12.85
Error Linking - no match found for device type ID 344 with firmware version 54
Error linking failed
PowerLinc Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 0F.E0.61)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 60.12.85, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - exited linking mode

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Note that although we didn't get support for the i3 modules into Indigo 2022.2.0, we are currently working on adding it to the next bug fix release.

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:00 pm
Korey offline

Thats great news! Thanks Matt!

Here is an attempt with the one I have.

Code: Select all
   PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 60.10.FD
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 60.10.FD
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 60.10.FD
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 60.10.FD
   Error                           Linking - no match found for device type ID 344 with firmware version 54
   Error                           linking failed

Sure would be nice to get this to link up!! :wink:

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 2022.2.1 is now available and includes support for several new Insteon i3 modules.

Posted on
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:31 pm
Korey offline

:D :D :D

Thanks guys!!

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:54 am
kyphos offline

Excellent news.
One of my i2 dimmers is failing and needs to be replaced.
I will check out the new i3 products.
Thanks!!

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U