Autolog Stella-Z Thermostat Controller Discussion

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:11 pm
autolog offline

Re: Autolog Stella-Z Thermostat Controller Discussion

Hi Yassi,
I have just looked at the plugin code and it is checking specifically for a Stella-Z so it won't handle a Comet. :(

That's the bad news BUT the potential good news is that if it isn't too much work, I may be able to fix that for you. :)

I guess you don't need the heat source controller - not sure what the best way round this is as removing that from the code could be problematic.
It might work by being able to define a Virtual Device that can be used by the plugin to turn on and off - I'll take a look at that.

You'll have to give me a day or so to get round to it as I am in the middle of fixing an issue with the Alexa-Hue Bridge.

I haven't got a Comet thermostat, so if I do the change, you will have to test it and report back to me.
Assuming that is OK, what would be helpful is if you could do a dump to the Event Log and PM me the results of the Comet device as follows:

Run an Action Group script (Server Actions > Script and File Actions > Execute Script) (Embedded > Python) of the form:
Code: Select all
indigo.server.log(u'Comet Device:\n%s' % (indigo.devices[12345678]))
where 12345678 is the Indigo device Id of your Comet thermostat. This will print the fun device details to the log and I can extract the info I need from that. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:32 am
yassi offline

Jon, thank you for looking into this.
I appreciate this very much!!!

Ok, I've got the dump, you will get it in the next minutes via PM.
Maybe with this release you can change the name of the plugin to a general one (you've mentioned this in a post earlier).

Yassi

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:18 am
autolog offline

yassi wrote:
Ok, I've got the dump, you will get it in the next minutes via PM.

Thanks - got it - I will let you know when I have got a revision for you to try :)

yassi wrote:
Maybe with this release you can change the name of the plugin to a general one (you've mentioned this in a post earlier).

I won't do that until I release a revised version which will be for Indigo 7.

The modification I will do for you (if possible) , will be a one off. as I don't intend to change the existing plugin any further. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:23 am
yassi offline

Ok, Jon, thanks!
But, do you know if the actual version will run under Indigo 7?
Finally moved today my Indigo 6 to a "newer" MacMini in order to upgrade to 7.

Yassi

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16 am
AndyVirus offline

Hi Yassi,

The plugin works under Indigo 7 and i have been running with it since release day of 7.

I have to ask: Why do you need this plugin if you have no requirement for a heat source to be turned on or off when the radiator TRV calls for heat or off when has reached temp?

If your heat is on 24/7 (more or less) then why not control the thermostat natively through indigo and create schedules for on/off for each room?

For myself I need this plugin as my heat source needs to be turned on when 1 of my TRV's is set to a heat point and turned off when set back to off (6c). With out this plugin that is very hard as i have 15 TRVs and each need to be kept track of so that the last one off also turns the heat source off.

You don't sound like you have this issue so you could just use indigo natively to control your TRVs. Im not sure what benefit this plugin will bring you over schedules.
Lime protection can just be a monthly schedule to set all trvs to say 30c then back to 6c a few seconds later (correct me if im wrong as there is timing issues maybe with battery devices and wake-ups)

To me the main point of this plugin is to ensure the boiler is turned on when 1 or more TRVs are turned on and it is turned of when the last one is no longer "calling for heat".

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:18 am
durosity offline

Autolog Stella-Z Thermostat Controller Discussion

@yassi I'm using the current plugin with Stella-z modules on indigo 7 with no issue, so I can't see why autologs modified version for you won't work.

(Also reaaaallly excited about the forthcoming new one. I have lots of idea for you on that autolog ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:37 am
yassi offline

@durosity: Thanks, I will upgrade in the next days, now it's under El Capitan, but I still have some issues (apcupsd, Python request to accept incoming connections) - but otherwise it went smooth.

@AndyVirus: Thanks for your feedback. Now I think you're right. I was not sure, if anything else as setting the heatpoint would work (as Matt or Jay said it will work in basic mode). So, I thought autologs plugin will brings more features to it.
I don't want autolog to have a lot of work for me - I appreciate this of course!

So, you have only schedules to set the heatpoints or what?
I want to have two schedules in the morning and by night and the lime protection. Can you give me a hint how you realized this?
And of yourse if could be cool not to heat if a door/ window is open, but for this I need a sensor, which I don't have yet in the rooms where I've installed the thermostats.

Yassi

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am
AndyVirus offline

Autologs plugin will bring more features thats for sure but he is a busy chap so in the mean time you would create a morning schedule and an evening schedule per room to set the thermostat to what ever temp you want with a second action delayed by x hours (how long you want to heat for) to set it back to 6c or what ever your off temp is. If you had a sensor you can set that as a condition in the schedule to only fire the action if the sensor is closed. If you wanted window/door sensor to trigger the thermostat to turn off then you would need to create an action for that. Autologs plugin currently does not do that BUT most of the trvs have an automatic shutdown anyway if it detects a window or door open. If it does not detect the temp rising in x mins (not sure the value) it automatically stops trying to heat that room.

Lime protection just sets the themostat to say 30c then back to 6c after a few seconds basically pushing the plunger down on the radiator valve so again that can just be on a schedule if you wish same as heating just on a much shorter on off time.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:29 am
yassi offline

Ok, then I will try this first with the schedules.
Thanks!

Yassi

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:11 am
yassi offline

Well, I think something goes wrong here with the thermostat.

I've set up some schedules (day and evening), set up the heat points bu when when schedules are runnning can't see that the thermostat does something.
It should begin to start to heat, make a noise (the motor) and the radiator body should be warm.
Nothing happens.
Also, the room temperature is the same (around 21 degrees Celsius).

What I'm doing wrong?
The thermostat is synced and online.

Can someone help, please?

Thx,
Yassi
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 07.09.25.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 07.09.25.png (27.05 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 07.08.48.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 07.08.48.png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 07.07.52.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 07.07.52.png (30.66 KiB) Viewed 4333 times

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:08 am
autolog offline

Hi Yassi,
What wake-up time (frequency) have you set the thermostats to?
Can you post log entries from when the schedule runs (just before and after), so we can see what Indigo is doing and the responses it gets. :)

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:04 am
yassi offline

Hi Jon,

I will post the logs today in the evening.
The thermostat is set up for a 5 minutes wake-up time.

Yassi

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 am
yassi offline

Jon, now I'm at home.

This is all I have in the log (schedule started at 5pm):

20.12.2016 17:00:00
  Schedule                        Heizung unter der Woche am Nachmittag
  Z-Wave                          queued "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" change heat setpoint to 25.0° for next awake notification

Yassi

P.S. Now it's 5:18pm

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:36 am
autolog offline

Hi Yassi,
It could be that the Comet is afflicted with the same problem / defect that the Stella-Z has.
With the Stella-Z if you take out and replace the batteries, then the wakeup time gets reset to a long time butIndigo still thinks it is set at 5 minutes.

Is there a button on the Comet that you can press to wake it up - if there is and you press it then Indigo should send the Set Temperature command.

Assuming you have a button or method to wake it up, then you can reset the time to 5 minutes by doing the following:
  1. Edit the device and set the time to 10 minutes and save
    - Indigo will queue the command to change the wake-up time to 10 minutes.
  2. Press the button on the Comet to wake it up
    - Indigo will send the command to alter the wake-up time to 10 minutes
  3. Now Edit the device again and set the time to 5 minutes and save
    - Indigo will queue the command to change the wake-up time to 5 minutes.
  4. Press the button on the Comet to wake it up
    - Indigo will send the command to alter the wake-up time to 5 minutes

You have to go through the above process as if Indigo doesn't think the wakeup time has changed, it won't send any command to alter it.
I think Matt has this on his list to change at some point for the Stella-Z. :)

Hopefully the above may help. :)

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:55 am
yassi offline

Hi Jon,

ok, but I didn't tooked out the batteries sinced I've installed it.

After your last post I've tooked out he batteries (tried before to manually adjust the temp via the know, to see if the motor moved, it didn't).
Then tried to resync it, had some errors because of the return route.
Now, the radiator body is warm, the schedule is running, but the batteries are empty (see screenshot)!!! This is not possible, ,they are only a week, last battery status was at 100%!
I saved the setting as is indicated to 5 minutes.

So, I don't know how long it will work now.

Yassi

Updated: sync it again:
20.12.2016 18:58:04
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss"
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 4, 10, 11
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "012 - Heizung Büro Edgeschoss"
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: EUROtronic - 0148, Thermostat (Comet Z) - 00020001
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved protocol version 3.67, app version 0.05
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Thermostat : General Thermostat (v2) (04 : 08 : 06, base 40)
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 40v1 43v1 84v2 26v3 86v1 80v1 31v4 72v1 77v1
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved wake interval of 5 minutes
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - device "012 - Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" wake interval changed to 5 minutes
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved battery level of 4%
  Z-Wave                          Syncing - complete
  Z-Wave                          sent "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" mode status request
  Z-Wave                          sent "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" temperature status request
  Z-Wave                          sent "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" heat setpoint status request
  Z-Wave                          received "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" mode is heat
  Z-Wave                          received "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" temperature update to 22.0 °C
  Z-Wave                          received "Heizung Büro Edgeschoss" heat setpoint is 25.0 °C
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 18.49.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 18.49.31.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

Page 4 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10