Google Voice SMS Plugin

Posted on
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:21 pm
hamw offline

Re: Google Voice SMS Plugin

I'm having the same problem as well with one of my cell phone numbers but not the other. So GV is working partially. Any one figure this out?

Posted on
Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:27 am
svenseventy offline

I've installed 1.2.0 on Indigo 6, and I find the CPU usage to be quite high, even when no actions are being performed in the foreground. In watching Activity Monitor, the CPU usage for the IndigoPluginhost process associated with the GV SMS plugin vacillates between 0.1% and 40-80% every 1-2 seconds. I have debugging enabled, but there's nothing showing up in the log while this is happening. It's enough load that I have to disable the GV plugin if I use this computer for anything else intensive (i.e., media.) Any insights as to why this is happening or what I can do (other than disabling/using another solution) to reduce the load to be commensurate with other plugins?

Posted on
Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:32 am
Dewster35 offline

The interval is polling to see if messages are sent to that number for control. If all you're using it for is notifications, then it probably makes sense to not poll as frequently. If you go through all the pages on this thread, I believe Benjamin at one time did make changes. You may see what file and parameter was changed and modify that yourself.

Posted on
Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am
svenseventy offline

Thanks - changing to 60 sec certainly helped. I didn't realize that polling would cause such a high cpu load.

Posted on
Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 am
Dewster35 offline

No problem. My older mini really struggled under the strain but the newer version definitely handles it better. Be aware that by changing that you may get a delay of up to 60 seconds when trying to control indigo via this plugin.

Posted on
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:57 am
hamw offline

Problem solved, I think. I converted both my GV devices to itunes, went to Google voice on the web and logged in myself, changed the GV devices back to GV and restarted the server. No errors and transmitting texts without difficulty. Will see if it continues to work.

Posted on
Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:03 am
jascha offline

I'm still unable to login. I've assigned an application password to work around the two-step verification requirement but it doesn't appear to be used. It's frustrating, the plugin works and then an application update or something changes and I can no longer login.

plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

Sigh

Posted on
Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:55 am
ChopOMatic offline

How do we get around the issue of two-step verification when it's enabled, as it is with my Google account?

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:22 am
jltnol offline

Don't know why... but this has stopped working in the last few days...

The Google Device just says "ERROR"... and won't sent out SMS's..

***UPDATE***

All I did was to re-create a new device with exactly the same information.... now works as expected.

Of course, I had to go thru and change all of the SMS Actions to the new device... but it seems to be working for now.

Posted on
Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 am
jascha offline

The only way I got this to work with two-factor authentication is simply to temporarily turn it off, log in the plugin, and then re-enable it.

Posted on
Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 am
mwoodage offline

Hi Everyone,
Do you know if this app can be used in the UK? I've tried setting this up today and keep getting an error. The one thing that makes me think its USA only is the plugin asks for a 10digit number and the UK mobiles are 11 digit.
Or maybe i'm just missing a step.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks
Martin

Posted on
Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:07 am
RogueProeliator offline

Google only issues US-based phone numbers for Google Voice, so the plugin is more-or-less unavailable outside of the united states. There are a couple of other options for push notifications -- HousePad (on Android) and the Pushover plugin (all OSes I believe), both available on these forums, should both work for push notifications. For iOS, I believe some have also scripted iMessage and/or Growl/Prowl too.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am
mwoodage offline

Thanks Adam,
That explains why i can't get it to work!
I'll give the iMessage plugin a try and see if that works.

Cheers
Martin

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:24 pm
jltnol offline

Hey folks

Just noticing that the Google Voice SMS plugin is hogging a lot of CPU time... while most other plugins are well below 1%, Google Voice SMS is frequently up to 17%, and I'm not noticing other problems on the computer beginning to be affected.

In the mean time, I'm going to send SMS's via Verizon's vtext email system.

Posted on
Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 am
jascha offline

I switched to using the pushover.net plugin and it works great.