Google Voice SMS Plugin

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:42 am
FlyingDiver online

Re: Google Voice SMS Plugin

It's paid for production work, but a free developer account is available with limited functionality. Enough to write a plugin, so I signed up.

For actual operation, it's $1/mo for a phone number, then less than 1 cent per SMS. So $3-4/mo for a dozen messages in or out per day. That seems reasonable for an automation system.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:36 pm
FlyingDiver online

Twilio plugin coming soon. See viewtopic.php?f=177&t=16250

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:23 pm
dshj offline

It seems like this is broken again. The line 74 trick isn't working for me.

I'm kinda tired of using Google. Whether it's the message limit or the constant "breaks" in the plugin (probably why the original developer bowed out in the first place), it seems to be the wrong answer.

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

dshj wrote:
message limit or the constant "breaks" in the plugin

It's not a true API, that's the big reason why it bombs sometimes. For my limited use I like it, but I hear ya! I've thought about picking the project up and working on it, we'll see. I'm debating if SMS is a worthwhile time investment when I can use Siri from anywhere instead of texting things to my system - the only use I have for it now is to send me SMS alerts but I can do that via email through AT&T too so it's sort of a toss up.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:30 pm
dshj offline

The problem I have with sending via email to AT&T SMS is that it comes in as a new number for every text. I like having one "sender" so I have a different alert/vibrate pattern for only the house alerts. Do you have a way around that? If so, I'll just use email.

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:46 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

No, that's how it works. Of course you can use Google Voice or the new Twilio plugin to get that particular feature. Like I said, I'm on the fence about SMS at the moment, maybe I'll pick up the Google Voice source and see where it takes me and duke it out with FlyingDiver's Twilio plugin :D :D :D

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:22 pm
hamw offline

Any help on the Google Voice would be great. I saw the Twilio plugin, and it also looks like it may be a winner, but I've got a lot of stuff programmed into the GV setup.

Can anyone take a peek? Thanks! :D

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

It'll be a while for me, I'm knee-deep in for-pay projects during the day and "for Indigo" projects at night, this one is a pretty low priority at the moment :).

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:47 pm
hamw offline

I understand the call of "for pay" stuff. Makes the world go around. That said, if you set up a link or something, I'd good for a six-pack at least. Maybe even a decent bottle of wine.

Any others?

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:50 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

If someone does take it on it probably won't get fixed straight away, I looked at this code a year or so ago and it'll take a while just to get through the spaghetti and ravioli code screen scraping stuff to get down to what's working and what's not.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:34 am
hamw offline

Well, I appreciate the good advice all around and especially the efforts of @flyingdiver to create the Twilio plugin. Seems like a real business with a true API makes sense. I registered and got it working... Have now officially given up on GV. Fingers crossed!

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:51 pm
jltnol offline

Yep

Looks like GV isn't working... AGAIN... and none of the previous alterations make it work... :(

Past time to move on.

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:09 pm
hamw offline

Spoke with my buddy who tells me that "yourphonenumber@vtext.com" resolves to a single SMS session, vs a bunch of individual texts on ATT. Does anyone use ATT and have a single SMS account?

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:38 am
Herbo offline

For ATT try <number>@mms.att.net

-H

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 pm
rszmetro offline

Not sure whether this has been covered, but, my Google Voice plugin no longer logs into my account. I have even updated my password, knowing that works on the google site. Here is the message I get:

Enabling plugin "Google Voice SMS 1.2.0"
Starting plugin "Google Voice SMS 1.2.0" (pid 11622)
Started plugin "Google Voice SMS 1.2.0"
Google Voice SMS Logging in to your Google Voice account.
Google Voice SMS Unable to login. Please verify your e-mail/password in the plugin preferences
Google Voice SMS Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

Any ideas how to fix? My email and password have been verified.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Z