Russound RNET Plugin

Posted on
Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:00 am
nlagaros offline

Re: Russound RNET Plugin

lraesly wrote:
Changed the device type on the Startech to Raw Server Mode (counter-intuitive but I guess it is serving the Russound) and I think it is now communicating. The debug output shows that it is not handshaking but I am able to turn on a zone, so not certain if handshake matters. I'll test more this evening and, if successful, post the settings for all to use in the future...

Lee

Curious as to how it is going with the Startech device. I'd love to replace the PC I'm using with something more compact.

Posted on
Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:31 am
lraesly offline

Startech is working flawlessly. Set it and forget it (which is what I did).

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I had to set it to Raw mode, but, once done, it just works.

I still haven't built out any Control Pages of significance (other than a pretty basic page), which is on my list of "to dos".

Anything layouts (pictures of layouts) would be appreciated...

Here is a link to the one I purchased from Amazon:

http://amzn.com/B0001MKTQC

Lee

Posted on
Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 am
nlagaros offline

Thanks much! I will snap a picture of my iPad control page tonight and post. It is pretty simple, but works well.

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm
nlagaros offline

Better late than never.

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 7:18 pm
lraesly offline

Okay, now I am inspired. BTW, between the pool and the exercise room, feels more like a club!

Nice...

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 pm
lraesly offline

I'm using both the Russound married with a Sonos system (as you are). I do have a few questions on the icons on the page but I'm going to play around with it first before I ask... I didn't see all of the features like volume up and down in the russound action list but... maybe I missed something.

Thanks again for sharing.

Lee

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 am
nlagaros offline

The volume commands are definitely in the Russound plugin. Let me know if you don't see them. I haven't contributed to that plugin in quite a while.

There is some code behind some of the buttons that call plugin actions directly. Let me know if you would like me to post any code.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am
lraesly offline

An example of source would be great. That would give me an idea of where to get started.

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2013 6:07 pm
nlagaros offline

This is the code behind the volume up icon:

Code: Select all
zone = indigo.variables['iPad_AudioZone'].value
dev = indigo.devices[zone]
russoundId = "com.jottoawa.indigoplugin.russound"
russoundPlugin = indigo.server.getPlugin(russoundId)
if russoundPlugin.isEnabled():
   russoundPlugin.executeAction("actionKeypad", deviceId=dev.id, props={'setting':'7F'})

The way I have the page set up, I populate a variable when a Zone Name or power button for a zone is pressed. Then I call a plugin action directly. For volume, the setting is the numeric id of the keypress on a Russound keypad.

The setting codes are in the plugin source, but here is a quick start for you:

'67' = track back
'68' = track forward
'69' = +
'6A' = -
'6D' = stop
'6E' = pause
'73' = play
'7F' = volume up
'80' = volume down

This should keep you busy for a while. I'm glad you are enjoying the plugins and great to find another Russound/Sonos/Indigo user. When you are done with your control page, I will give you Indigo triggers to update your in-wall keypads with Sonos track/artist information. This assumes you have in-wall keypads with a display.

lraesly wrote:
An example of source would be great. That would give me an idea of where to get started.

Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I think I have finally found the solution I have been looking for with this plugin. I would appreciate some guidance to make sure I am understanding this correctly. First I will describe what I have today and then describe what I am looking for.

What I have today. One source - a Sonos Connect. Four rooms with in-ceiling speakers. A Russound CAM 6.6 6-zone amplifier with keypad in each room.

What I want. One source Sonos is fine. Speakers are good as is. I want to use Indigo to control each of the four zones. I don't care about the keypads. I would use iPhone with Indigo. The CAM6.6 has an RNET-in port. Can I just plug that into my router and then use the plugin? I saw discussion about the Startech to connect to the RS232 port, but why would I need that if I have the RNET-in port? I look forward to any advice.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 pm
nlagaros offline

The RNET port is for proprietary communications between Russound components. The serial port needs to be connected to a computer or the Startech device. In my current configuration I have the Russound serial port connected to a PC and use the IP communications option in the Russound plugin. I do this because my Indigo Mac is not close to the Russound gear.

I do exactly what you want. I have a Sonos Connect as one source to the Russound CAV so I can play in any one or more zones. It has become my primary source of music.

wideglidejrp wrote:
I think I have finally found the solution I have been looking for with this plugin. I would appreciate some guidance to make sure I am understanding this correctly. First I will describe what I have today and then describe what I am looking for.

What I have today. One source - a Sonos Connect. Four rooms with in-ceiling speakers. A Russound CAM 6.6 6-zone amplifier with keypad in each room.

What I want. One source Sonos is fine. Speakers are good as is. I want to use Indigo to control each of the four zones. I don't care about the keypads. I would use iPhone with Indigo. The CAM6.6 has an RNET-in port. Can I just plug that into my router and then use the plugin? I saw discussion about the Startech to connect to the RS232 port, but why would I need that if I have the RNET-in port? I look forward to any advice.

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:39 pm
wideglidejrp offline

You say you have the Russound serial port connected to a PC. By that, do you mean that I would connect the RS232 on the CAM 6.6 to a Startech and from there to my LAN through the router and then the plugin can talk to the Russound CAM 6.6?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm
nlagaros offline

That is exactly right. I happened to have an old PC laying around so that was a cheaper solution for me at the time. The Startech looks attractive as it will consume less electricity than the PC and require less maintenance.

The plugin will communicate with the Startech that is a proxy between your network and the serial port on the CAM 6.6.

wideglidejrp wrote:
You say you have the Russound serial port connected to a PC. By that, do you mean that I would connect the RS232 on the CAM 6.6 to a Startech and from there to my LAN through the router and then the plugin can talk to the Russound CAM 6.6?

Posted on
Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 am
wideglidejrp offline

Does the cabling matter? I read somewhere that the RS232 cable should be as short as possible. Does the Startech come with a cable?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:35 am
nlagaros offline

I think the limit for serial cables is 50 feet. I think you are better off having as short a serial cable as possible between the Russound and Startech. Your ethernet cable from the Startech to the router can be the longer one. You have a 100 meter limit with that one.

wideglidejrp wrote:
Does the cabling matter? I read somewhere that the RS232 cable should be as short as possible. Does the Startech come with a cable?

Page 3 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8