LG TVs

Posted on
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:29 pm
kennybroh offline

LG TVs

I know this is off-topic but you have done a lot with equipment I use and I'm just wondering why no one seems to have developed a plug in for LG TVs. They are such a large part of the market...

You might know the answer....

Posted on
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:53 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: LG TVs

I know this is off-topic but you have done a lot with equipment I use and I'm just wondering why no one seems to have developed a plug in for LG TVs. They are such a large part of the market...

You might know the answer....

The vast majority of the plugins written for Indigo were written when the plugin author purchased the equipment and decided to integrate it in their own system, then released the plugin for the masses to use. So my guess is that it just so happens none have LG televisions.

It isn't that uncommon for someone wanting a new TV to look on the forums for existing integrations and use that to guide their purchase, either. So without seeing an LG plugin, some may have used that as part of their decision to purchase a different brand.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:31 am
rhanson offline

kennybroh, there's a library called pyWebOStv that makes integration with newer LG TVs easy, if you're skilled in python.

I have simple scripts to turn the TVs on & off, and adjust volume. It does more, like selecting sources and so on, but that's not something I needed.

Posted on
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 pm
kennybroh offline

I'm not terribly skilled at Python but have written some scripts. I'd love to see what you've done and imagine if I have that library I can add some additional functions. If you're willing to share what you have that would be great,

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2021 12:40 am
rhanson offline

What I have won't help you because it's buried inside a plugin I have that automates various things.

But, the github page for that library has examples, and it's pretty straightforward. The hardest part is that there's an initial handshake between your code and the TV for authentication. Just follow the example code and it will work, and then poke around at the various things you can do.

Posted on
Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 am
kennybroh offline

OK, thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 am
jltnol offline

Ditto with LG TV. Not skilled in Python, but may give this a shot anyway to see. Simple on and off would be a big BIG help.

Page 1 of 1