How the heck do I control this thing? ;-)

Posted on
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:28 pm
joeaug offline

How the heck do I control this thing? ;-)

I am a newbie to Indigo, but not to home automation, Roku network control, or scripting, but I must be missing something here???

I got the latest version of the plug-in working, but how do I script for this plug-in? Where can I find a list of the objects and actions available to me when writing a script? For example, what is the rewind button officially named when writing a script?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my newness !

Posted on
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:53 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: How the heck do I control this thing? ;-)

Although we could work out the scripting to call actions directly, you can normally accomplish what you want through Action Groups or, if creating a control page, actions on those.

I apologize if you already know this, but since you are new to Indigo, I'll walk you through creating a Roku action.
* Create a new Action Group
* Add an action Device -> Roku Network Remote Control -> Send button-pressed command to Roku.

This should pop up a dialog of action options and you can select which device and then edit the action settings to select which button. NOTE: you will need to make sure you defined the Roku as an Indigo device first. Of course, can string those together with several actions in a row if needed.

If you really need scripting, I would suggest starting with the Wiki, it has a section on scripting plugin actions. Once familiar with that we could get the values required for various Roku actions.
https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=indigo_7.5_documentation:plugin_scripting_tutorial

Posted on
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:58 pm
joeaug offline

Thanks so much! This answers my question for this and several other plug-ins! I gathered from reading some the other posts that there must be some area of Indigo where there were pop-up lists when creating a "script", but now this makes perfect sense! Thanks again!

Posted on
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you haven't already, you really should read through the first 3 docs on the Indigo docs page - they will ground you in the terminology and basics of Indigo. Many (many) users use Indigo in complex ways and never actually write a line of code - it's all done though the UI. New users coming from other (even more techie) products often want to jump right into writing scripts - and find a steep learning curve and more difficult to develop solutions when the UI can do the same thing much faster.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1