Roku plugin with a TCL Roku TV?

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Roku plugin with a TCL Roku TV?

Jut got a TCL Roku 65R615 and got the plugin setup. But it doesn't seem to be retrieving any status info.

What version of the plugin are you running?

Are the following populating correctly:
deviceModel
isTV
activeChannel

Adam

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 pm
virgahyatt offline

Version 2.4.4

and no, they are not. Either empty or in the case of isTV it's : false.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 pm
whmoorejr offline

+1

(Sorry, never looked at status before.... so I got curious)

Is Powered ON = false <-- Incorrect
Screen Saver = false. <-- Correct?
lastDiscoveredIPAddress = 10.0.6.21. <-- Correct
all other States are blank

Actual state: Powered on, watching My Little Ponies on Netflix. (See earlier comment about toddler before judging me on that.)

For my triggers and my on/off button, I'm still using the "Online Sensor" plugin and a Virtual On/Off device that incorporates the WOL script you gave me earlier.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

So one warning is that not all Roku based devices report all the statuses, but I think the TCLs should get at least the isTV and isPoweredOn correct. The current application should also be read correctly. I'm going to compare that debug log to mine and see if there are maybe some differences... @whmoorejr, can you send over a similar log? Looking for High Debug setting with one round of attempting to get the status,.

v2.4.4 is definitely needed to parse that TCL return, but it seems you are already on that version so that eliminates that.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:49 pm
virgahyatt offline

Yeah I definitely see the status information coming through in the debug and I ran it a couple of times while changing the state of the tv to confirm the data stayed in sync. Just doesn’t seem to be updating the information in indigo. Indigo never shows that status for it updates at all. Just always reports the time stamp from when it’s created.

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:24 am
RogueProeliator offline

Can you guys give this one a try:
https://github.com/RogueProeliator/IndigoPlugins-Roku-Network-Remote/releases/tag/v2.4.5

Let me know how it goes...

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am
virgahyatt offline

Success!!

Seems that fixed another issue as well that I wasn't sure was from the plugin yet or not. I would get a resource busy indicator every few seconds, for just a moment or so and it seemed to be timed about when the check was happening. No more though, so that's great!

THANKS!

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Success!!

Seems that fixed another issue as well that I wasn't sure was from the plugin yet or not. I would get a resource busy indicator every few seconds, for just a moment or so and it seemed to be timed about when the check was happening. No more though, so that's great!

Awesome! I also found that a TV that is turned off can cause a slight hang -- the library that does the network communication seems to have a higher timeout than I would have expected. This normally is only seen when stopping the plugin and it happens to be awaiting a response from an Off TV. I'm going to get that fixed up then post to the Plugin Store.

@whmoorejr, if you could test this out too... if this works then I don't need any more logs.

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:46 pm
whmoorejr offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
@whmoorejr, if you could test this out too... if this works then I don't need any more logs.

Ditto.... All statuses are populated now. I like that it is showing tv power status versus network status. (My previous method was to use an online sensor that would ping the TV... it will be active for several minutes after the TV powers down.)

Side note.... I tuned it on and set back to Netflix to be sure it would populate the activeChannel... which it did. Once I powered down, it switched the "activeChannel" state from "Netflix" to "Davinci Channel"

I have no idea what the "Davinci Channel" is. My guess is it's TCL Roku speak for the homepage?

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have no idea what the "Davinci Channel" is. My guess is it's TCL Roku speak for the homepage?

That would be my guess -- it was also listed in the debug log from @virgahyatt. Probably just their custom overlay, if you will.