Safe update checks FTW!!

Posted on
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Safe update checks FTW!!

I don't often single out developers because you guys are all awesome, but I'm going to make an exception. Adam gets a big gold star for implementing update checks that handle adversity (in this case, GitHub requiring TLS1.0) very well. Today, this is what I see in my logs:

Code: Select all
   TiVo Network Remote Plugin         Checking for updates...
   TiVo Network Remote Plugin Warning Error checking for new plugin version.

Just once with no muss and minimal fuss. Mind you, I'm running a fairly old version of the plugin (from mid last year I think) so it isn't after he's adapted to the current issue.

Congratulations Adam, here's your gold star: Image

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Safe update checks FTW!!

Congratulations Adam, here's your gold star

ROFL, thanks Jay! :-) I've actually been trying to find some time to take out all those update checks -- it is only in one base class, so as often is the case it isn't the coding but the time to test holding me back. But my plugins SHOULD all handle it that way so it hasn't been a critical priority... (BTW, you can disable the check in the settings or you will get those two lines once per day I believe).

Adam

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 am
nicb offline

I think this GitHub TLS change is also preventing me from creating new triggers

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 12.59.58.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 12.59.58.png (43.44 KiB) Viewed 3237 times

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:07 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

nicb wrote:

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 12.59.58.png

That's a clever way to let a user know there's an update.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 am
RogueProeliator offline

Correct, that Event that fires depends upon the GitHub integration so won't work any longer... It is going away in the next plugin release.

In a nutshell, the GitHub change has affected pretty much everyone's update notifications no matter how they are materialized for you... but Jay mentioned in one of the announcements that they were aware of this and would bring some form of update or notification or what not to the Plugin Store eventually. For now, I guess just check the message boards is all I can say. I haven't always posted of new minor updates but will do so now when they are published to the store.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

RogueProeliator wrote:
Jay mentioned in one of the announcements that they were aware of this and would bring some form of update or notification or what not to the Plugin Store eventually,

We will be building in update checks into a future release so that plugin developers don't need to do anything special in their plugins. In the meantime, we've published an API that developers can implement, in place of the older library they were using, to do update checks against the Plugin Store.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:31 am
RogueProeliator offline

In the meantime, we've published an API that developers can implement, in place of the older library they were using, to do update checks against the Plugin Store.

Doh, I think I missed that office API, thanks for the pointer... last I remember was the discussion of others creating a few things. Thanks!

Adam

Page 1 of 1