Initial Version Feedback Requested

Posted on
Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Initial Version Feedback Requested

Anyone who might give the TiVo Network Remote plugin a try, please give me some feedback (good or bad) as you get the plugin up-and-running. This is my first plugin and I can definitely handle constructive criticism!

I've been running this for about 2-3 months without any problems, but it doesn't get extremely heavy usage... just a few nights a week, perhaps.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Initial Version Feedback Requested

Excellent contribution, thanks! We now have TiVo and DIRECTV DVR control plugins.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Looks terrific! Have to get my TiVo set up to check it out.
Not seeing in the menus a way to get directly to YouTube or Netflix.
Might that be possible somewhere down the road?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 pm
RogueProeliator offline

The control protocol doesn't really give any options for controlling straight into their applications; however, there is a command that will bring up a "Video on Demand Menu". Not quite sure what that will bring up -- a cable provider's VOD or TiVo's streaming apps menu or what. I'll see if I can give it a try and see what happens.

You might could create a sequence of actions that would get you into the apps with one Indigo press (starting with the TiVo button to get to a known location). Obviously that would be specific to your own TiVo setup and what apps and such you have on there.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks, I give the sequence commands and shot and see how it goes.
Haven't had much luck with that approach in the past but as you say,
at least I could start from a known location.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 am
RogueProeliator offline

Do you happen to have a TiVo Premier? There are some additional (and pretty neat) commands that can be sent to Premiers via the same RPC interface that their iPad application uses; one of those includes direct access to their media applications (YouTube, Amazon, NetFlix, etc.) I hadn't looked at this interface much as it was Premier-only, but using it for extended (extra) commands when available might be pretty cool.

It is a bit more complicated of a protocol, but not all that much... I definitely am going to look into adding it to the plugin with a new setting in the Device that will enable the advanced communications.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Nice control page writeup. A couple of suggestions:

• I think you could implement the channel number collector as a set of actions: "Append Number to Channel Selector", "Clear Channel Selector" - then you could store the collection of #'s in a state (to display) of the device. This would remove the need to script and use a variable - the user would just add the "Add Number to Channel Selector" action (with the right number) to each number control on the page.
  • As an extension to the previous one, you could then add an action "Change to Channel Selector" which would actually change the channel and (optionally?) clear the channel selector. Again, remove the need to script.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 am
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks for the suggestion, Jay... I honestly have no idea what I didn't think of storing it internally as a state -- even though at one point I considered a "Change channel to value of variable" type action. I'll look at adding that in as it would not be very difficult and would definitely make things easier.

Appreciate the feedback!

Posted on
Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 am
thumpinc offline

Hi - When I install the new version I get the following:

TiVo Network Remote Plugin ErrorError in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "plugin.py", line 71, in __init__
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/TiVo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkPlugin.py", line 77, in __init__
<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '%%selectFirstItemVal%%'

and the plugin closes... any thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 am
RogueProeliator offline

Looks like I must be missing a default value in there... try going to the plugin's configuration screen (from the menu the standard Plugins -> TiVo Network Remote -> Configure), select a Debug Level (you can leave debugging disabled, just select a level) and save.

Then restart the plugin... that SHOULD get you up and running. Is this an upgrade or were you installing it fresh? (so that I might duplicate the issue and fix so it won't happen to others).

Sorry about that!

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:00 pm
thumpinc offline

Apparently I cannot configure the plugin because I cannot enable it. It stops and fails to load. The CONFIGURE option is grayed out in the MANAGE PLUGINS window and there is no CONFIGURE in the PLUGINS popup for the plugin... :(

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I added in the error catching that should get you running again... it would still be best to go explicitly set the debug level, but this should pass the startup stage such that you can actually GET to the configure menu... :-/

https://www.rogueproeliator.com/IndigoPlugins/TiVoNetworkRemote/TiVoNetworkRemote.zip

It should install normally as I incremented the build number... Please let me know if this works for you.

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 pm
thumpinc offline

First, thanks so much for your reply!

Second, after upgrading now I get this:
TiVo Network Remote Plugin Your plugin version, v1.1.2, is current.
TiVo Network Remote Plugin ErrorError in plugin execution:

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/TiVo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkTelnetDevice.py", line 86, in concurrentCommandProcessingThread
ipConnection = telnetlib.Telnet(telnetConnectionInfo[0], telnetConnectionInfo[1])
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/telnetlib.py", line 208, in __init__
self.open(host, port)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/telnetlib.py", line 237, in open
raise socket.error, msg
timeout: timed out

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 am
RogueProeliator offline

That is progress - the error you posted is that the plugin isn't able to open a connection to the TiVo device... try editing your TiVo device in Indigo so that it can update its address format. You should be able to open the device configuration, check to be sure that the address info is correct and save it (even if the address looks correct, go ahead and re-save).

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:51 am
thumpinc offline

I did that. I even deleted the device and made a new device.
This is what I get:

Started plugin "TiVo Network Remote Plugin 1.1.2"
TiVo Network Remote Plugin Your plugin version, v1.1.2, is current.
TiVo Network Remote Plugin ErrorError in plugin execution:

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/TiVo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkTelnetDevice.py", line 86, in concurrentCommandProcessingThread
ipConnection = telnetlib.Telnet(telnetConnectionInfo[0], telnetConnectionInfo[1])
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/telnetlib.py", line 208, in __init__
self.open(host, port)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/telnetlib.py", line 237, in open
raise socket.error, msg
timeout: timed out