ZWave Linking

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:49 am
steve-indigo offline

ZWave Linking

Hi all,

I have a basic questions about "linking" with Z-Wave devices.

I have a Zooz ZEN30 switch I would like to use to turn on/off an Aeotec heavy duty smart switch.

I am able to do this with a trigger in Indigo detects on/off of the ZEN30 and then turns the Aeotec switch on/off, but I was wondering if there was a better way to accomplish this. I tried to do this with setting up an association with Indigo but that didn't seem to do anything...

My home is a majority Insteon devices (with a few Z-Wave), and I am very much familiar with the idea of linking devices, but Z-Wave and associations are relatively new for me....

Is using a trigger the best / preferred method here to have a Z-Wave switch with no load control a remote Z-Wave device?

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:10 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: ZWave Linking

What settings did you use in when you added the association and what did the Event Log show when you added it? Also try resyncing the controlling module (ZEN30) then copy/paste the Event Log window results into a reply for us. That will show what the module thinks the current associations are.

Posted on
Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:32 pm
steve-indigo offline

Matt,

See the attached screenshot of how I added the association.

This is the event log window from the association and then sync of the ZEN30:

Code: Select all
Oct 16, 2023 at 4:58:49 PM
   Z-Wave                          added association of "Basement Well Pump" to "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" group 1
   Z-Wave                          retrieved group 1 associations: [1, 13]

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:59:30 PM
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "Basement Master Water Switch (D)"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 1, 4, 7, 8, 13
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "014 - Basement Master Water Switch (D)"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Zooz - 027A, Double Switch (ZEN30) - A000A008
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved protocol version 7.13, app version 3.10
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Mulitlevel Switch : -- (04 : 11 : 00, base 26)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 26v4 5Ev1 25v1 70v1 5Bv1 85v1 8Ev1 59v1 55v1 86v1 72v1 5Av1 87v1 60v4 73v1 9Fv1 6Cv1 7Av1
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved capabilities: routing, beaming
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved multi-endpoint types: 1:(10 : 00)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved multi-endpoint classes: 1:[5E 25 85 59 8E 6C 9F]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 1 associations: [1, 13]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 2 associations: []
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 3 associations: []
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - group 1 association to interface already exists (skipping)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 12 "Power up state" is 3 "Both Last State"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 1 "Dimmer LED behavior" is 1 "ON when dimmer is ON, OFF when dimmer is OFF"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 3 "Dimmer LED color" is 2 "Green"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 5 "Dimmer LED brightness" is 1 "Medium"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 2 "Relay LED behavior" is 1 "ON when relay is ON, OFF when relay is OFF"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 4 "Relay LED color" is 2 "Green"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 6 "Relay LED brightness" is 1 "Medium"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 13 "Dim ramp rate" is 0 seconds
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 14 "Minimum value" is 1
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 15 "Maximum value" is 99
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved parameter 17 "Double tap behavior" is 0 "Full Brightness"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - complete
   Z-Wave                          sent "Basement Master Water Switch (R)" status request
   Z-Wave                          sent "Basement Master Water Switch (R)" status request

I then turned the ZEN30 off/on and this is the event log output:

Oct 16, 2023 at 5:05:01 PM
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" off button pressed
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" status update is off
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" off button pressed
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Well Pump" status update is off (from associate)
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" on button pressed
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" status update is on
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" on button pressed
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Well Pump" status update is on (from associate)

The event log looks like the Aeotec HD switch status is updating from off to on but it isn't actually turning it off or on....
Attachments
associations.png
screenshot off association ZEN30 + Aeotec HD switch
associations.png (55.34 KiB) Viewed 913 times

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:47 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The UI and Indigo's Event Log seem to be showing everything configured correctly, so I'm not sure why it isn't working. For troubleshooting, I'm curious if you created an association to a different module (not the heavy duty smart switch) if it works?

Posted on
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:00 am
steve-indigo offline

Matt,

I created associations from the ZEN30 to also control a Zooz Titan water valve and an Aeotec Nano switch, then re-synced the ZEN30, then tried to turn off the devices using the switch. Nothing actually turned off.

See the event-log from pressing off on the ZEN30 switch:

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:46:32 PM
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Master Water Switch (D)" status update is off
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Workbench Light" status update is off (from associate)
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Water Valve" status update is off (from associate)
   Z-Wave                          received "Basement Well Pump" status update is off (from associate)

Thoughts as to why the devices aren't actually turning off?

Posted on
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Based on the manual for that module you should be adding the associations to Group 2 or Group 3 (not Group 1):

The Double Switch supports Group 1 with up to 1 devices for lifeline com- munication. The dimmer supports Group 2 with up to 5 devices and will send BASIC_SET report to other devices in Group 2 to communicate status changes. The relay supports Group 3 with up to 5 devices and will send BASIC_SET report to other devices in Group 3 if its status changes.

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:11 am
steve-indigo offline

Matt,

Thanks! I must have missed that part about what group to use. I added to Group 2 and all seems to be working as expected.

Page 1 of 1