Weird "no ack" syndrome for Z-wave devices

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:58 am
steveK offline

Weird "no ack" syndrome for Z-wave devices

Hi all,

My system recently started highlighting certain Z-wave devices in red with a "no ack" flag. It seems to do this to a couple of devices in particular, though it can also be more random. Sometimes the unit still responds to a Z-wave command (though it still shows up as "no ack"), sometimes not. I've tried reloading the Z-wave interface (Aeotec Z-stick 7 plus) and restarting Indigo. This usually has no effect. Sometimes it will clear up with a Mac restart, but most often I need to do a complete shutdown of the Mac to get it back up and running. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if a screen shot will help but will post one the next time this happens.

Mac Monterey 12.6.8, Indigo 2022.2.

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:22 am
durosity offline

Re: Weird "no ack" syndrome for Z-wave devices

Now I had exactly that problem and in my case it turned out to be something to do with plugging the z-stick directly into the Mac minis USB ports or my USB3 hub, but strangely it works fine when plugged in via a USB2 hub. So now it just lives on the back of my cinema displays built in USB port.

Of course the cause of your problems could be different, but might be worth trying it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:12 am
steveK offline

Thanks for the response. The Z-stick is plugged into a USB hub, where it seemed pretty happy until this all started a month or so ago.

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:44 am
durosity offline

Could be it’s taking exception to the hub, worth trying it directly on the Mac itself or with a different hub, just to rule them out if anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:26 am
WagnerOne offline

Probably completely unrelated, but mine started doing this last weekend (when I was away on vacation, of course).

No ack's from any Z-wave devices, but some still received and did what they were told from Indigo.

Nothing about my Indigo setup has changed in months (software or hardware) and my Z-stick hasn't been touched (moved/replugged/etc.) in years.

I ended up rebooting the mac mini indigo runs on when I returned from my trip and that settled it (that or combo of replugging the Z-stick - not sure).

I did have to reselect in the Indigo prefs what port the Z-stick was plugged into after one or both of the above actions.

Mike

Page 1 of 1