Controlling fluorescent tubes with electronic ballast

Posted on
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:44 pm
BigDaddyNC offline

Controlling fluorescent tubes with electronic ballast

I have three fluorescent tube fixtures in my garage (2 tubes apiece) and would like to control them with a Z-Wave device rather than the single toggle switch I have now. The solution can be a smart switch or a module installed behind a standard switch.

I am migrating away from Insteon and to Z-Wave and already have a number of Zooz Z-Wave on/off switches and dimmers (and a multitude of sensors).

However, Zooz is pretty clear in that even with the relay switches that you shouldn't use them to control a load of fluorescent tube lights with ballast. Certainly, I can ignore that and install a relay switch, but I don't particularly care to replace it anytime soon nor worry about creating a hazard.

What solutions are you all using for wall switches that control fluorescent tube fixtures?

The most promising thing I've seen so far is the Fibaro FGD-212 module, which goes in the box behind a standard switch. Anyone using one of those right now?

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Controlling fluorescent tubes with electronic ballast

Why not remove those tubes and replace them with LED tubes? My electrician did that a few years ago. The tubes themselves are cheap, but you do need to rewire the fixture to remove the ballast.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:37 pm
BigDaddyNC offline

Re: Controlling fluorescent tubes with electronic ballast

A reasonable suggestion, however I've got three fixtures with two tubes apiece on a twelve-foot ceiling. And I hate heights. :shock:

My first impulse is to DIY, and it probably would be better in the long run, but I'm not ready to bring down the fixtures and rewire them. It does look like pretty straightforward rewiring job to remove the ballast. Just tedious.

At the moment, I'm also too cheap to call an electrician (got a kid in college). Last job I had to call en electrician on was to replace a bad breaker that had come loose. That set me back several hundred dollars more than I had expected. I will keep that idea in my back pocket, though.

Page 1 of 1