Z-Wave for INSTEON users?

Posted on
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:08 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Z-Wave for INSTEON users?

Looks like we're going to build a new house. Yay. (Oh, no!) So I have the great opportunity to design my home automation from scratch and build it right in. Or to screw it all up royally and regret it forever...

My current house is largely INSTEON-based. The stuff is working fine (if slowly), and that's where most of my experience lies. (I have maybe ten Z-Wave devices in that house, mostly sensors.) But of course, INSTEON went away and then came back, sort of, and it doesn't look exactly like the wave of the future.

So... I was wondering if there's somewhere, within the cavernous hold of these forums or the brains of its users, a guide to "Z-Wave for INSTEON people"? Like what is the closest available Z-Wave replacement for an INSTEON KeypadLinc (you know, the thing with 6-8 programmable lit buttons that fits into a one-gang electrical box)? Or, say, what Z-Wave scenes are and how they're different from INSTEON scenes. That kind of guide. Because, frankly, half the Internet can't even seem to agree on what Z-Wave scenes are, let alone how to make them work well.

Has anyone done the "INSTEON to Z-Wave transition", and what mistakes shouldn't I make following in your footsteps?

Cheers, and thanks in advance...
-- perry

Posted on
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:57 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Z-Wave for INSTEON users?

If you're building a new house, and can afford it, you really should consider an actual lighting system like Lutron or one of it's competitors. So much better than the IoT lighting systems.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:28 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Z-Wave for INSTEON users?

FlyingDiver:
If you're building a new house, and can afford it, you really should consider an actual lighting system like Lutron or one of it's competitors. So much better than the IoT lighting systems.

What does Lutron get me that Z-Wave doesn't? I've already written a Lutron plugin (for the drapes/blinds in our current house, Cynical Lutron), and I wasn't that impressed with the interface, given that it requires bespoke LV wiring to do its thing... (or has that changed?)

Cheers
-- perry

Page 1 of 1