Product: Z-Wave Firmware Update Box / Long Distance Z-Wave

Posted on
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:06 am
whmoorejr offline

Product: Z-Wave Firmware Update Box / Long Distance Z-Wave

Anyone tinkered with this thing yet?
https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/z-box-hub-s2-700-series-z-wave-plus-smart-home-hub

From the Zooz people:

"Thank you for reaching out!

1. Yes, the hub provides a simple, intuitive firmware update process for Z-Wave devices.

2. You can use the local API documentation for the Z-Box Hub to bridge out any elements of the system you'd like with another interface.
The documentation is available from the online interface once the hub is set up and it looks like in the screenshot below, with full descriptions of all aspects of your ecosystem.
Attachment.png
Attachment.png (105.96 KiB) Viewed 658 times

3. We're currently watching the Matter/Thread space and will definitely consider this protocol if it's capable enough to offer similar functionality. For now, there is only a very basic framework available for simple on/off devices, so we don't believe Matter is a good fit. At the same time, there will be different ways to bridge Z-Wave devices with the Matter ecosystem and we should have more details about it soon.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!"

Off hand, I can think of two use cases for this.
1: Can be used as a dedicated z-wave device firmware updater.
2: Could be used to extend your z-wave network in a distant location (work shop, etc.) and then use the API to control it from Indigo.

As for #1, I know several have commented on the forum about doing z-wave firmware updates... I've considered it, but stop when I read up on all the steps in the process (special software, dedicated zwave stick, PC). Maybe a box that has that feature is a better alternative for those folks that want to keep their device firmware updated?

As for #2, I've seen several posts about people having issues controlling zwave devices when there is too great a distance between the desired location and their main z-wave network. Perhaps this box could be a viable solution for automating a distant workshop or garage?

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:23 am
shapa offline

Re: Product: Z-Wave Firmware Update Box / Long Distance Z-Wa

1) "dedicated z-wave device firmware updater" - there is no need for a dedicated stick. You can use the same stick; you need another software (official Silicon Labs tools are the best by definition). Many vendors are not releasing firmware updates outside their controllers (Fibaro, for example).

2) Hubitat is much easier to use (and already has an 800 chipset) for the remote location, bearing in mind https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/252/

Page 1 of 1