700 series Controllers FW - 7.19.1 issues

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:00 am
shapa offline

700 series Controllers FW - 7.19.1 issues

I continued to use my Aeon stick v7 and tried to upgrade to the latest firmware (which was supported by Aeon, but then they reverted to 7.17.2)

Gecko SDK 4.2.1 is the latest one. It looks like Indigo Zwave is partially incompatible with the latest SiLabs FW (all 700-based controllers).

https://github.com/kpine/zwave-js-server-docker/wiki/700-series-Controller-Firmware-Updates-(Linux)

Overall, network stability and performance are excellent, but there are some issues with the latest FW with the device inclusion.
Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade the firmware as the bootloader checks the version. Anyway, newer batches will probably be flashed with the latest FW...

1) Some devices (randomly), it doesn't matter how many times I'm trying, are included (the Indigo is reporting that inclusion was OK), but then no new device ID is added. Multiple attempts - the same result (with device full reset, proper exclusion, etc).

The workaround I've found is to use the official SiLabs "ZWave PC controller" to include a device; then, it syncs fine via indigo. No issues after that.

2) Unable to add secure devices (locks, keypads, etc.) anymore. It syncs but not enabling security. When I'm adding via " ZWave PC controller" - the security is enabled, but when I'm syncing the device with indigo, it disables.

The lock added before the FW upgrade works fine, so it is something in the inclusion process. I've tried at least 5 more devices (they used to work before the controller change without any issues) with no success.

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:44 am
siclark offline

Re: 700 series Controllers FW - 7.19.1 issues

Thanks for the update. I will stick on the FW I am on for now then. If it ain't broke....

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd be interested in seeing the debug logging (via the debug checkbox shown after Interfaces->Z-Wave->Configure... menu selection) of what happens during the inclusion process. Can you re-do inclusion of a module (without encryption – let's solve the simple case first) where it isn't adding the node ID to Indigo or the Z-Stick for some reason? Try it 3 times and copy/paste the log results of all so I can see if it failing in the same manner every time.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:59 pm
shapa offline

So far, I have used my spare Silicon Labs UZB-7 (SLUSB001A) - upgraded to 7.17.2 and restored the NVM backup from the Aeon 7.19.1.
They use identical firmware and chipsets.

All issues are gone; I can add devices (including secure) with no problems again. So it's 100% proven incompatibility with the 7.19 firmware.

All locks are working now.

Page 1 of 1