Correcting failed module indication

Posted on
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:22 am
ken_jacobs offline

Correcting failed module indication

I want to remove a failed module that I recently replaced. When I call for a list of failed modules I also get my crawl space smoke detector. It is functional and I get a periodic battery status from it. How do I correct the Z stick's status on this device?

Posted on
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:13 am
Colly offline

Re: Correcting failed module indication

Ideally you should get a successful sync of the battery device and then it wouldn’t show up as a failed device.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 am
DaveL17 offline

Precisely. AFAIK, this should work for any device that is reported as failed.

The first thing I do with any device that's reported as failed is to attempt to do a sync. This often is all that's necessary. Once you have reduced the list to *actual* failed devices, it's safe to remove them. If you should inadvertently remove a device by mistake, it's easy enough to re-add it through the normal inclusion process. Then, just update the Indigo device definition to point to the new device ID.

Incidentally, the list of failed nodes is compiled by the Z-Stick and not by Indigo. Indigo merely shows whatever devices the stick says have failed.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:47 pm
Dual offline

DaveL17 wrote:
re-add it through the normal inclusion process. Then, just update the Indigo device definition to point to the new device ID.

I’m still fuzzy on this. What precisely are the steps? I have had devices fail in the past and need to be replaced with a new device. Or I have had devices refuse to cooperate and I have excluded them and then included them. In all cases the device is assigned a new node number. I have then changed all of my Indigo triggers, schedules, control pages etc to use the “new” device with the new node number. I have read the Indigo help and still am not sure what to do. It seems from what I have read in the forums and the help that I should be able to include the new device and then change it’s node number? Or tell Indigo to replace instances of the old device with the new device? Or??? I think I am not understanding something fundamental here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:35 pm
DaveL17 offline

The steps are outlined on the Indigo Wiki. If you need more detail, feel free to ask.

If a Z-Wave device fails (and depending on the type), you may be able to just replace it with a new one and all Triggers, Conditions, Actions, and Control Pages will continue to work. To replace a device:
  1. Select DEVICES in the Main Window outline view or select one of the sub-folders.
  2. Find the device in the device table and double click it (or select it and click the Edit… button).
  3. Click the Define and Sync… button.
  4. Follow the instructions on the dialog to use your interface to include the device into your network if you haven't already.
  5. Select the new device in the Sync using node popup
  6. Click on the “Sync” button.
  7. When the Synchronize Z-Wave Device dialog disappears, just close the Edit Device dialog.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1