Z-Wave Firmware Updates

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:57 pm
jltnol offline

Z-Wave Firmware Updates

So it's a jungle out there. As far as I can tell, this really isn't possible on the Mac platform, at least not in a way a mere mortal like me can figure out. I've actually created a Win10 setup on an older Mac, have downloaded The HomeSeer OTA firmware Update Software, as it at least seemed like an easy thing to do. Only to find out Win10 can't find a driver for the Z-Stick purchased just to update firmware on my devices, and the Z-Stick manufacturer doesn't have any drivers, just saying its compatible with Win10.

Just curious if anyone has managed to update Z-wave device firmware via the OTA method, and if so. how?

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 pm
jltnol offline

Re: Z-Wave Firmware Updates

So just a quick update, the Z-stick I bought for this operation was from Zooz, and they have provided a driver that makes the USB Z-stick available to the software, so for the moment, all is good. Currently have completed a firmware upgrade on a new devices not yet associated with Indigo.

BUT

In order for me to update devices that ARE in Indigo, I'm going to have to exclude them from Indigo, include them with my firmware upgrade setup, then include them back into Indio.... which means they will most likely at least get a new Device ID, throwing off a few Python scripts.

Is there a way around this? Can I actually just include devices existing in Indigo into my update system, then just delete them from the update system and still have them work with Indigo? or will I have to actually delete each device from Indigo before I can do the upgrades?

so in essence, what I'm asking is.... can a Z-wave device be associated with two different Z-Wave sticks at the same time?

Posted on
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:55 am
howartp offline

When you’re ready to re-add to Indigo, don’t create a new device.

Go to the existing device, do “define & sync”, and change the node in that dialog box to the newly included node from the stick. (Sorry I’m on phone so wording might not be right)

That way the device ID stays constant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:14 am
norcoscia offline

It is no fun for sure - I was hoping Mat and Jay would work with someone with windows expertise - in my mind, anyway - if indigo had a trusted connection with the windows software running on a windows machine they could allow the update to happen through indigo so the hassle of removing and reinstalling a device is eliminated. Might not be possible but would love to understand why it isn’t.

More and more things need updates so I feel like this should be addressed.

PS. I still have a homeseer license - I ran their updater and it was easy - luckily I had not installed the device in indigo yet.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:34 am
jltnol offline

That way the device ID stays constant.

Didn't think of that way, but will explore this option. I already had a second idea, which was to round-robin the devices as I update them.... cumbersome, but thought it would work... but your suggestion seems much easier. Thanks

Posted on
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:59 pm
jltnol offline

Just a quick summary....

First, I did need to install a version of Windows to make this work. Fortunately Microsoft will allow you to download and install a full working version of Windows 10 or 11(and maybe others). Given the Mac I was using is now over 10 years old, I went with Win10. If anyone is doing this, during the install, you'll be asked for a Activation code, and you can literally just skip this step. The new install of Windows won't work forever, but long enough to get this all done. I ended up installing Simplicity Studio 5, from Silicon Labs (also free), and with a lot of fear and trepidation, used the Z-stick I use for Indigo. But before you pull that stick out of your Mac, make a note of the Nodes that need updating as not all of that info is available in Simplicity Studio.

After all of that is done, you can follow the instructions here https://thesmartcave.com/update-firmware-zwave-smartthings/, as they are better than what is on the Zooz page.

This was pretty painless, and worked perfectly. Not all devices can do OTA firmware updates, so before you start down this road, find out if your device can do OTA, and make sure you can find and download the new firmware file.

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:59 pm
whmoorejr offline

Can you use just one Z-Stick?

I was searching the net for other updating options and came across this...
you will need to temporarily unplug the USB Z-Wave controller and plug into your Windows machine where you are performing updates. Then once you are finished, you can plug it back into your home automation system of choice.
https://theprivatesmarthome.com/how-to/update-firmware-zooz-z10-700-usb-z-wave-controller/

From there, I would assume a re-sync of the device would be the last step?

I currently don't have a Windoze setup to test my half-baked theory, sorry. If it works though, that would cut out a few of the other steps and remove the need for a 2nd stick.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:50 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Bill

I did this earlier this year, but honestly don't remember re-syncing anything. As far as I can tell, the Simplicity Studio and Windows didn't change ANYTHING on the Z-Wave Stick, so I'm 99% sure I just plugged it back into my Mac running Indigo, started it up and it was all good to go.

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:06 am
whmoorejr offline

jltnol wrote:
Simplicity Studio and Windows

So the process doesn’t sound too complicated, just a tad crappy that you have to get a windows computer thrown in the mix. (Or a virtual PC I guess)

From what I’m seeing elsewhere online, “Simplicity Studio” is the ONLY way to do this and even though the software is cross platform, there is an add-on you need that is windows only which is the main part you need for the zwave updating. <- does that sound about right?

At the moment, I don’t even know if anything I’m using needs a firmware update…. I was tinkering with a new zwave device, trying to figure out the settings and someone else posted on the forums that a firmware updated ‘fixed’ the behavior of his device…. Then down the rabbit hole I went. :lol:

So, thank you for documenting your process and all your input… at least now I know that if it is needed, it won’t be something to have a panic attack over.

Bill

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:42 am
jltnol offline

From what I’m seeing elsewhere online, “Simplicity Studio” is the ONLY way to do this and even though the software is cross platform, there is an add-on you need that is windows only which is the main part you need for the zwave updating.

As far as I know, that is correct. I have a few Zooz switches, one of which was slightly problematic, but the firmware update seems to have fixed it. I honestly can't say I was having lots of other issues, but am glad that I understand the process enough to at least try it if/when trouble starts.

Like everything else, the process seems a bit daunting at first, but after you've done it once, its much less intimidating.

I was actually able to buy a full Windows 11 License for $25.00(don't remember the site...) and had to prepare a special USB install stick since my aging Mac running Windows was too old to qualify for Win11, but at least now I can do the updates, and not have to worry about getting Windows up and running somewhere someplace for the updates. Past that, even tho my old Mac is setup to run both OS's, it mostly just sits in the corner, turned off.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:28 pm
acjobim offline

So I went through this today for one of my ZEN32s. Had to get my old 2011 MacBook Air multi booting Windows 10 as a first step. No problem there. Would not work in a VM for me on any of my other Macs.

Simplicity Studio is what it is. An SDK for devices, device drivers, and god knows what else. What a piece of software. It is not for end users......which most of us are not.

The update would not work if I grabbed my main stick (Aeotec) from my Indigo Mac Mini and placed it into the MacBook Air running Windows. There is info on the Zooz site that states that this is OK. I assumed if I did this I would not have to do the exclude/include dance. I could see my entire network of devices in SS and I could select any device for updating, but the update would never start and would eventually fail.

I had to use my backup stick (Zooz) which was new in a box. I excluded the ZEN32 from Indigo/Aeotec and included it into SS/Zooz. The update worked like a charm. I then excluded the device from SS/Zooz. Great!!!!

Indigo would not recognize the ZEN32 as the same node, so I had to tweak a few things to get the switch back into production. I have way too many z-wave devices (all Zooz) to work my way through the entire house, tweaking things as I include them back into Indigo. I am one who likes to keep software levels up to date, but I will only update if a device gets erratic or if there is an actual feature update that enhances my installation.

Maybe it's the Aeotec. I don't know. I may buy another and repeat the use case. If an out of the box Aeotec does not perform the update similar to the Zooz, then what? Make the Zooz the main stick if I can pull it from Indigo and into SS, do updates, without the node ids changing? My network with the Aeotec stick has been very stable. Rebuild for firmware updates? I don't think so.

Thoughts?

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:14 pm
whmoorejr offline

acjobim wrote:
Thoughts?

You make the process sound rough. If you turn this into a drinking game and do a shot every time you have to "exclude".... might be fun.

Bill

Posted on
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:26 am
acjobim offline

Naw......

I have seen your projects, you would enjoy it.

Page 1 of 1