Zooz ZEN77 S2 dimmer, status and associations

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 11:41 am
welchgregusa offline

Zooz ZEN77 S2 dimmer, status and associations

In another post (https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=26095) I relayed some experience w/ the Leviton DZ6HD dimmers. Changed to a new topic for the Zooz ZEN77 S2 dimmers.

This is w/ Indigo 2022.1.0 and an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

I purchased two Zooz ZEN77 S2 dimmers, mounted them to a 2x4 for testing, and wired them up with individual 120V bulb loads. I included them into my z-wave network as Left and Right for testing. (Abbreviated names here.)

I was able to see three groups for each/both (they are identical dimmers). I added Right as a "Responding device" in Group 2 of Left (Controlling device), and then the reverse. I started in my garage but then when I did a range test (per the Zooz instructions) I realized they were on repeaters (other z-wave) so I moved the test rig inside about 1.5 meters (line of sight) from the Z-Stick. The range test confirmed they were now connected directly to the Z-stick.

A few of observations.
  • I was able to see that each dimmer's control of the load (the bulbs) was "mirror'd" to the other (Left to Right and Right to Left). Not instantaneous, but quite good.
  • Perhaps not news to others, but I was surprised to find that I did not need to set up control-respond in both directions; both Left-Right and Right-Left control mirroring worked even with an association only defined for one of the devices. (This makes some sense, but the GUI language (Controlling group and Responding devices) made me think the associations were only one-way, from the devices in the Controlling group to the Responding devices.)
  • However, the dim values in Indigo usually lagged, some times by 15 seconds or more. Not sure whether the dimmers is late sending the info or what. The loads changed fine, but Indigo's device levels/state were delayed.
  • I was able to get a "Device State Changed" On/Off State "Becomes On" to work.
  • I was not able to get any "Z-Wave Command Received" "Incoming Command Received from Device" triggers to work. Lots of options show up in the "Configure Incoming Command Received from Device" dialog box, in the "Received" field (e.g., up/down single, double, triple, 4, and 5 taps; press the up/down button; hold down the up/down button; and releases the up/down button. However was unable to get any that I tried to trigger. (I had the trigger log a message, and neither the command nor the message ever appeared in the log.)

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has ideas for the "Z-Wave Command Received" triggers not seeming to work,.

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2022 1:57 am
howartp offline

Re: Zooz ZEN77 S2 dimmer, status and associations

Hi Greg

Install the Zwave Watcher plugin and point it at your dimmers. It’ll log all Zwave traffic for those two devices.

Paste what you see when you’re expecting states to change in Indigo.

Edit the dimmer devices and check what Polling is set to?

And (don’t think it’s this) check Interfaces > Zwave > Manage associations > pick a dimmer > “Read” and check Zstick is listed, usually Group 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 1