Zwave firmware update questions

Posted on
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:18 am
norcoscia offline

Zwave firmware update questions

Hi, I have only done one firmware update (years ago) and it was a huge pain so I have a few questions. I have a Zen17 (not installed) and noticed one of the users here did a firmware update. So I’m wondering….

1. How do I know what firmware is the best / will work for indigo for each device?

2. Do you guys intend to support firmware updates from within Indigo before I die of old age? (FYI, this could happen very soon so timing is important)

3. If I have a device on my setup already talking to indigo is there a step by step clear set of instructions on how best to proceed from indigo, if yes where is it, if no please publish one!

4. If I have a new device is there any easy way to check if it has the correct firmware to work with indigo before it is added?

I really think zwave is doomed if this firmware thing does not get much easier - zwave is already too hard and the complexity and hassle of updating firmware is just too much - matter (if it gets going) will make it extinct.

Love you guys but at some point the hassle outweighs the fun and benefits of using Indigo.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Zwave firmware update questions

TBH, I've never had the need to update firmware in all my years of using Z-Wave.

A device's firmware generally doesn't effect whether it works with Indigo or not. The basic Z-Wave class structure is enough for Indigo to identify how to operate most devices. There are, of course, modules that are complex in their behavior (some even dynamically switching which commands they support), and for those we sometimes have to tweak the module definition to accommodate the difference. Also, just about every device implements their own configuration parameters - there is no common spec for that, so that's the other thing we have to do for each device specifically.

A device firmware update is generally to fix a bug in the device firmware. We can often work around those bugs as I described above, but sometimes we can't. Sometimes vendors do introduce new functionality in a firmware update, but those are very rare. So really the only reason to update firmware would be to correct some kind of fatal flaw in the device's firmware. Those situations are pretty rare, and often you can contact the vendor and they will just replace the device.

Given everything else that's on our plate, and given the disparate ways in which the various device manufacturers support firmware updates, it has never risen to the level of a must-have feature (since we'd have to support each manufacturer independently in some cases). Supporting new devices, supporting new technologies, keeping up with macOS's ever changing requirements, etc., all have a higher priority.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:29 pm
norcoscia offline

Re: Zwave firmware update questions

Yes, I understand and know that you guys have a bunch of more important stuff going on. I was not complaining but my spidey sense (and the great wisdom of old age) tells me that as more and more stuff becomes “firmware upgradeable” more and more stuff will be rushed out since the makers will just assume they can fix it later with a firmware update. I would hate for you guys to be caught with your pants down - better to be laying ground work before it becomes an emergency.

One example — I have an Aeotec Window/Door Sensor 6 - back in 2018 I posted about a battery drain issue - a user pointed out that he did not have that problem and recommended I update to a later firmware (which he was running). I never did it because it is such a hassle.

Also, like I mentioned, I do have a Zen17 that I really need to install and also like I mentioned, another user just had an issue with his and updating the firmware made a difference for him. I don’t want to install it and then hassle with it later.

I just ordered a Zooz USB 700 Series Z-Wave Plus S2 Stick to make the firmware update process easier on a dedicated windows machine with a dedicated zwave stick.

So, if I take a device that is in indigo and remove it from my Indigo configuration will I lose all the stuff that is related to that device or can it be removed, updated and put back in service - that was why I asked about official process documentation.

Forgot to ask - is it possible for a plug-in to do this, that would offload the workload on zwave firmware updates - I imagine something might even be able to work running on a windows machine if it could be allowed to run a cooperative process with indigo. I think the software for updating has already been developed since it is already available on other HA platforms.

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1