Anyone Using Zooz Universal Relay (ZEN17)?

Posted on
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:04 am
eme jota ce offline

Anyone Using Zooz Universal Relay (ZEN17)?

Indigo seems to recognize it, but I receive errors when trying to send an "On" command to the relay (On not supported for this device), which is set to momentary mode and wired to a Sprinkler Magician/Mosquito Magician on R1 to COM and NO. This replaced a failed Insteon I/O linc.

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:53 pm
Dual offline

Re: Anyone Using Zooz Universal Relay (ZEN17)?

I have not tried one yet. I am interested to hear your feedback. Very good price for the features. If it’s not supported by Indigo you can likely control it with raw commands. When you select Edit Device Settings does it say Indigo does not have a device definition and to forward them the info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The latest version of Indigo should work with the ZEN17. Please copy/paste both the sync results as well as the errors you receive when trying to control it into a forum reply.

Posted on
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:18 am
eme jota ce offline

Thank You Matt,

Maybe what I'm seeing is actually a communication error to the ZEN17, which is outside of the house - opposite side of the Z-Stick, too. The sprinkler system that it's supposed to trigger actually did turn on when I tried it again, after a long delay.

Here's the error in the log when sending an On command via Indigo:
Z-Wave Error no ack/nak/busy reply (075) for setRelayValue (re-sending)
Z-Wave Error received busy failure reply (02) for setRelayValue (re-sending)
Z-Wave Error received busy failure reply (02) for setRelayValue (re-sending)
Z-Wave Error send "Mosquito Sprinkler" off failed

Here's the log when syncing: *(It shows the log from hitting sync several times):
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed to assign return route
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed
Z-Wave Error No response from "075 - Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.
Z-Wave Syncing - started for "Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 6, 24, 40, 67, 74
Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "075 - Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays"
Z-Wave Error No response from "075 - Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.
Z-Wave received "Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays" status update is off
Z-Wave received "Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays" status update is on
Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "075 - Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays"

Z-Wave Error Timeout waiting for "075 - Mosquito Sprinkler ALL relays". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

Posted on
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 am
bschollnick2 offline

I'm not sure if this will help?

Can you bring the Zen17 inside next to your ZWave transceiver? And perform a factory reset on the Zen17, and try including it again?

If it works, move it back to it's final location, and perform an optimize ZWave network to ensure that it's links are updated to the new location.

I've performed this a few times on troublesome devices (including a variation on Insteon hardware)... So I know it can work, but it could be that it's just a range limitation and a zwave booster might be helpful for this device in it's final location.

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:53 pm
eme jota ce offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
I'm not sure if this will help?

Can you bring the Zen17 inside next to your ZWave transceiver? And perform a factory reset on the Zen17, and try including it again?

If it works, move it back to it's final location, and perform an optimize ZWave network to ensure that it's links are updated to the new location.

Thank You bschollnick2. Appreciate the suggestion because that's exactly what I did after posting (above), and I know that you have more HA competence than I, based on your posts.

Still monitoring it and can't test at this moment.

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:08 am
whmoorejr offline

Following...
I have a ZEN17 in my desk drawer that I've been waiting to use for something..... Now I'm looking at some form of sprinkler setup and weighing options.... So your relays will physically control a sprinkler, but what are you using to make indigo see it as a sprinkler?

My guess.... since the ZEN17 has three relays, I could have three irrigation zones.

For each relay, I could use the Masquerade plugin to create a virtual "sprinkler" for each relay = 3 Masquerade devices.
I could then use the Virtual device - Sprinkler to sew the 3 Masquerade devices into one - 3 zone sprinkler device.

Or did you find another way to do it?

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:15 pm
eme jota ce offline

I updated the firmware on it from 1.04 to 1.10 and am just using it to trigger the Mosquito magician (which is wired and plumbed into the irrigation system, which has a Rachio controller). The Mosquito magician is wired into the COM and NO of Relay 1. It's been working well since the firmware update and since I installed some additional 7 series wave devices to help bridge the gap to the ZEN17's installation location inside a metal box on the outside of the house's cinderblock construction and far from the Z-stick.

Wish I could have been more help to your irrigation question.

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:56 pm
whmoorejr offline

eme jota ce wrote:
Wish I could have been more help to your irrigation question.

No worries.

I'm sure the zooz device is working well. I have a few of their products so far and they have all been pretty solid.

Bill

Posted on
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:27 pm
MattDinOC offline

whmoorejr wrote:
Following...
I have a ZEN17 in my desk drawer that I've been waiting to use for something..... Now I'm looking at some form of sprinkler setup and weighing options.... So your relays will physically control a sprinkler, but what are you using to make indigo see it as a sprinkler?

My guess.... since the ZEN17 has three relays, I could have three irrigation zones.

For each relay, I could use the Masquerade plugin to create a virtual "sprinkler" for each relay = 3 Masquerade devices.
I could then use the Virtual device - Sprinkler to sew the 3 Masquerade devices into one - 3 zone sprinkler device.

Or did you find another way to do it?

This is probably moot by now for you, but it may help others... I just replaced my EZFlora sprinkler controller with 2 ZEN17 devices as part of my migration from Insteon to Z-Wave. I only have 4 valves to control, so 2 ZEN17 devices did the job for me. (Each ZEN17 contains 2 relays.) A few nice things about the ZEN17 for this application:
  • can be powered by the same 24VAC supply as the valves
  • can set an auto-off parameter in the device itself to keep your sprinklers from running forever in case the Z-Wave "off" command fails
  • has a "DC Motor Mode" to prevent enabling both relays at one time
That last point is a bit irrelevant because it doesn't extend across devices, but it's something anyway.

• On the Indigo side, I have a variable called lawnWatering that I set to off/light/medium/heavy depending on what the weather is like.
  • Then I made a bunch of Action Groups to cover different watering sequences I need, with names like 2:0:0:2, 3:3:3:3, etc. The action groups turn on the relays for each valve in order, using the "Auto-off after HH:MM:SS" feature to set the needed duration for each zone. I set a 10 minute delay for the second one, 20 minutes for the third one, 30 minutes for the fourth one. My auto-off parameter at the device level is 10 minutes, so this ensures that I'll never have 2 valves open at once.
  • The last piece is to create Schedules. Each schedule is named something like "watering - light - STTS - 05:00 - 2:2:2:2." This one for example is scheduled to run 4 days a week at 5 AM, with the condition that lawnWatering contains "light". Under actions, it executes the 2:2:2:2 Action Group.

It has worked out pretty well, although I do miss out on the nice Sprinkler Controller device UI in Indigo Touch.

Wiring diagram courtesy of smartdraw.com and installation photo are attached. Hope this helps!
Attachments
IMG_5639.jpeg
clean installation
IMG_5639.jpeg (466.81 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
sprinkler controller.png
wiring diagram
sprinkler controller.png (501.78 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

Posted on
Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:23 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Neat setup – thanks for sharing.

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:26 am
whmoorejr offline

A question (probably for Matt or Jay) on adding ZEN17 to Indigo…

Mine is connected as a “Universal Relay” device with 3 devices: All Relays, Relay 1, Relay 2.
Did I do something wrong? I would think it should have joined as an I/O module to have separate control over the inputs and the outputs. Like my MIMO thing?

I was looking through parameter settings to make sure I had mine configured right and I’m trying to figure out what the performance difference is with some of the parameters, I.e., Parameters 2 & 3 for input type lists 10 different inputs (1&2 are both toggle, 3-10 are all a form of momentary dry contact). So, is there a performance difference between what you select?

Anyway, I noticed parameter 10 & 11 allow you to separate the input from the relay…. That tells me that the device should have installed with separate input devices in indigo.

The Zooz paperwork says that after you change one of those parameters to 4-10, then you need to exclude then re-include for the child devices to be created for input. I thought “exclude” deletes the device and factory resets it? So, I would think that after changing the parameter, you would just re-sync the device? Maybe that will create the additional devices in indigo? I can’t get to my server for a couple days so I can’t experiment myself at the moment.

Bill

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, I think we need to revisit the device definition for this one. I believe when I added it and tested it the firmware didn't support having the inputs working independently from the relays, but I may just not have been using it correctly. I noticed the instructions now say to exclude and re-include after changing parameters that control this, and I don't recall that being the case when I added it. But I might just be mis-remembering.

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:09 pm
jenwill1 offline

I purchased a couple of Zen17's to utilize my wired door sensors, never installed a formal alarm..., and hooked them up to the S1 and S2 inputs as dry contacts. Were perfect out of the box except the on was when a door is closed. I wanted to use this in a group when any motion detectors and doors are on then I can alarm easily without having to switch values on variables and complicate the logic. I noticed Parameter 19 and 20 were added in the device firmware version 1.10. So after updating the firmware using Bootcamp and Silicon Studio 5, I re-included the Zen17's and new new parameters were not included in the device definition. I manually changed Parameters, 2,3,19,20 to '10' and it worked !. Now the sensors read on when the door is opened and all is well. Think the firmware upgrade on these devices to warrant upgrades to the device definitions.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:52 pm
HEGarrard offline

I have an interesting problem that I am having with two different ZEN17 controllers - I am trying to work with the ZOOZ support team on issue.

I use the ZEN17 for garage doors - one ZEN17 has one opener and the other has two openers attached. I have them set up as momentary ON.

The issue that I am having is sporadic - but a real problem!

If I "tell" Indigo to turn on one of the ZEN17 relays - the door will start to open about a foot and stop - it will then close and stop - it will then start to open a foot and stop. It finally will go do and stop and then open fully. I "watched" the wall mounted door opener and I can see that the ZEN Relay is sending several "ON" commands which results in the start and stopping several times. The next time - the ZEN17 works fine and only sends one "ON" command.

I have a "Control Page" that has a Static Image that I setup an Action that "TURNS ON" the ZEN17 RELAY (RELAY 1 or 2) depending on the door. The EVENT LOG only shows the one ACTION.

Has anyone had issues like this?
I am assuming that it is the ZEN17 sending the commands on its own. However, is it possible that the Z-Stick is sending multiple "ON" commands?

Attached is the SETUP for the ZEN17 ...
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.49.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.49.06 PM.png (100.91 KiB) Viewed 1510 times