Z-Wave Stick "usbmodem" device changing name after reboot

Posted on
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:24 am
lotsofdevs offline

Z-Wave Stick "usbmodem" device changing name after reboot

I do have a somewhat annoying problem with my Aeotec Z-Wave USB Stick. The serial port name changes after each reboot. It always starts with "usbmodem" followed by four digits, But the four digits are changing. So I need to reconfigure Indigo after each reboot.

Is there a way to "lock" the name? Or can Indigo accept some form of "wildcard"? I do have a second serial device that is used for an Insteon adapter, and it does not exhibit this problem.

M1-MacMini, macOS Monterey 12.1, Indigo 2021.2, Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5

Posted on
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave Stick "usbmodem" device changing name after reboo

The Apple modem driver, which is used by your Z-Stick, names its ports based on the USB bus and slot designations (the numeric part after usbmodem). AFAIK those shouldn't change across reboots unless you move the interface to different USB ports or move a USB hub to a different port (we've never heard of such before). If you aren't changing anything about how the USB devices are connected to the Mac, I wonder if you've got a USB hub that's not consistently enumerating it's ports to the macOS USB subsystem, so when the driver loops through the ports scanning for a modem device, the macOS USB subsystem is returning the ports in a different order or something which causes the modem driver to use a different designation in the name.

Exactly how is your Z-Stick connected to your Mac? Maybe there are hints there.

Unfortunately, this is outside of Indigo's control - all we can do is ask macOS for available modem devices and it returns a list of them. If the name changes then we think the previously saved port is now unavailable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1