Can I add dummy colour functionality to a zwavedimmer module

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 am
siclark offline

Can I add dummy colour functionality to a zwavedimmer module

Hi,
I have a zwave qubino dimmer controlling my bedroom pendant, and zigbee RGBW bulbs in 2 lamps. All published to Alexa (zwave through indigo, zigbee through hubitat). The problem is that Alexa recognises that the pendant doesnt have colour functionality and so wont let me ask her to set the lights to warm white etc. I have to create a new group for just those lamps, which makes it harder to use.

Is there a a way, like masquerade, to create a dummy linked device with colour functionality that alexa would try and set, but would get ignored by Indigo / the dimmer?

Thanks

Simon.

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can I add dummy colour functionality to a zwavedimmer mo

I'm confused, can you describe the setup more? For instance, why would the dimmer be involved at all if you're controlling the bulbs directly?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:21 am
siclark offline

I want Alexa to think it can send a colour setting to a qubino dimmer published from Indigo that is an Alexa group with bulbs. The bulbs work fine by themselves, when I add the dimmer device to the group, Alexa says the room doesnt support colour, which means I assume, one of the devices in the room doesnt support colour.

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Sorry, still confused.The qubino dimmer isn't capable of colors, so why would you want to try to control it as a color capable device?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:57 am
siclark offline

I don't want to control colour with it specifically. I want to be able to ask Alexa to control a group with colour devices and non colour lights

1. Alexa bedroom group only contains colour enabled bulbs
"Alexa set lights to warm white" - works

2. Alexa bedroom group after adding the qubino dimmer
"Alexa turn on bedroom lights" - works
"Alexa set lights to warm white" - "this device doesn't support this".

I don't expect the dimmer to do anything but in evening if the lights are dimmed to low, which also works I want to then ask for warm white which I can't do.

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah, ok. That would be an Alexa limitation, not something we can do since any restrictions on group creation on their side wouldn't involve Indigo.

I don't know if any of the wrapper plugins like Masquerade support creating color devices that would wrap a non-color capable device and make the color adjustments a no-op, but you could try (and maybe one the developers of said wrapper plugins could cook something up for you).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:00 pm
siclark offline

Yes agreed it's Alexa limitation, that's why I'm asking this incredible group of problem solvers what options we have on our favourite flexible platform.

Page 1 of 1