Zooz 4-in-1 Multi-sensor (ZSE40) Polling from Indigo

Posted on
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:56 am
deadsquid offline

Zooz 4-in-1 Multi-sensor (ZSE40) Polling from Indigo

Howdy - I have a Zooz ZSE40 multi-sensor installed. It's battery operated, and has been in place for about a month with no issues and a full battery. About 5 or 6 days ago I looked at the (motion) sensor to check it's battery level and it reported 100%. I left the sensor highlighted in Indigo, and saw it was at 20% today. The battery is supposed to be good for a year, and I was wondering if Indigo does polling for the level that may kill the battery. Mostly trying to understand so I don't do it again, I don't think the battery should decay like that given it's a lithium cell.

Posted on
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:47 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Zooz 4-in-1 Multi-sensor (ZSE40) Polling from Indigo

Battery powered Z-wave devices aren't polled. They just report on their own. So leaving it highlighted in the Indigo client made no difference to the reporting interval.

I don't know for sure with the ZSE40, but many sensor devices only have one bit for battery state - so it's either "high" or "low". For my plugins, I report high as 100% and low as 20%. I suspect Indigo is doing the same thing for the ZSE40. It's not that the battery decayed that fast, but that the 100% reading wasn't accurate.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Devices which have batteries generally do a terrible job of reporting actual battery state. I don't know for sure why, but unfortunately that's just the reality. So this kind of behavior is no surprise.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm
deadsquid offline

Thanks for the quick replies, folks, appreciated.

Page 1 of 1