Physical dimmer on Eaton Z-Wave dimmers stopped working

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:14 pm
sjseeger offline

Physical dimmer on Eaton Z-Wave dimmers stopped working

I recently added an Eaton Universal Z-Wave dimmer, and an Eaton Accessory Z-Wave dimmer into my kitchen, the 7th and 8th Z-Wave devices on my system.

Everything worked great for about 3 days, then the Universal (master) dimmer switch suddenly stopped working from the physical dimmer rocker on the switch. The power on/off switch still works, and confusingly (at least to me), I can still dim to any level via Indigo, and through Alexa via the Hue Bridge plugin. The Accessory dimmer continued to function property, until yesterday (about 3 weeks after initial install), whereby it also stopped working via the physical dimming rocker.

I did adjust some of the configuration parameters for the dimmers, but followed the mfr. parameter table, for ramp rate and LED indicator brightness, but am unsure if a configuration parameter could impact the physical function of the dimmer rocker.

I also have 2 additional Z-Wave dimmers in my system, and they seem to be working just fine. I have not yet attempted to remove the dimmers from my Z-Wave network, and resetting them to factory default, as I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on what could have caused the dimmer rockers to stop working. Any insight is much appreciated.

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Physical dimmer on Eaton Z-Wave dimmers stopped working

So, they worked for some time after you changed the config params? Or did they stop working immediately after changing them? If the latter, then it's possible that the param change is the problem, perhaps they were documented incorrectly. If that's the case then a factory reset should work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm
sjseeger offline

Thanks Jay. Yes, in particular, the Accessory dimmer worked for a good 7-10 days after I had done the last parameter changes, and then one morning the rocker just wouldn't work anymore.

I also read somewhere that some tight box fit might put pressure on the housing and lead to hardware issues. These boxes are jammed pretty full, particularly where the primary dimmer is located, so I also loosened up the switches from the box, to see if they would work again. No can do.

I'll attempt the factory reset to see if that gets them going again. If not, I may just return them to Lowe's and go with a different brand.

Update: I decided to flip the circuit off and back on to see if that would do anything, and woila, the dimmer rockers started working again. Unsure what would have caused them to fail, needing that full power cycle, but I'll monitor things and hope it doesn't happen again. I... guess... it's some type of faulty software in the switches themselves???

Posted on
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I've had modules lock-up and stop working a few times before. Sometimes it is from a brown out or power outage, but I've had it happen just randomly as well. Must either be a firmware bug in the module or the circuitry just doesn't handle the power outages well 100% of the time.

Page 1 of 1