Is it safe (OK) to remove node 1 from a device?

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:18 pm
norcoscia offline

Is it safe (OK) to remove node 1 from a device?

Hi, I added a z-wave remote and noticed reception was intermittent from the position I wanted to use it.

So... I added a z-wave range extender and manually added it as an association with the remote.

That helped and it is working but I want to make sure the less reliable path direct to my gateway (node 1) does not receive and transmit the signal from the remote since it sometimes reads the keys incorrectly.

Is if safe (OK) to manually remove node 1 from the association list for the remote?

Thanks in advance for any help....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Is it safe (OK) to remove node 1 from a device?

Associations are different from network neighbors (nodes) - they don't have anything to do with routing network traffic, but rather are ways to have devices send/receive directly to/from other devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:33 pm
norcoscia offline

Hmmm, yes now I'm remembering - the address for the range extender never shows up in the remote's neighbor list or vice versa. I tried re-synching the remote but no joy getting it to show up - not sure what else to try and also not sure why it started to work better once I set the association.

Confused :-(

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Installing the range extender probably helped since it would know to attempt to route between the remote and your Z-Wave interface, though if the remote never saw the range extender then that wouldn't be it. Have you tried resyncing your remote now that you've added the range extender?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:49 pm
norcoscia offline

Remote is waking but the re-sync takes about 30 seconds which does not seem normal - indigo does not report an error but the range extender does not show up in the neighbor list which is odd because I was standing right next to it when I did the re-sync.

I can exclude the device but I will have to go back and do some rework since I set it up like a combo lock - Wondering if the range extender does not show up in the network configuration or if I should do the exclude and include to get it to show up. Wish there was more z-wave info available.

Also wondering if there is any way to keep node one from responding by modifying something. If anyone knows or knows where I can look / read to figure it out it would be much appreciated.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There are other reports on the forum of repeaters not updating/showing neighbor lists. This forum post says that if you choose the optimize menu in Indigo then the neighbor list might become populated, so give that a try if you haven't.

Posted on
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:54 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Matt, good read - is there a way to optimize a device individually by sending it a z-wave command? With so many battery powered devices I would hate to stand out in my cold garage continually waking up the remote until Indigo got to it - not sure how you have the full z-wave network optimization set up.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:51 pm
norcoscia offline

To follow up...I excluded the remote - did a new inclusion and the range extender showed up in its neighbor list - it would be really nice to have a way to optimize one device at a time (if the z-wave system allows this ). I have some Z-Wave wall plugs that I move around for various reasons and I have been re-synching them thinking the mesh would get updated.

Today I learned that the only way to update the mesh (for a single device) is to exclude it and that is not something that I want to do since I would need to go back and redo all of the stuff in the triggers (like I just did with the remote). If possible add to request list or let me know how to do it with a z-wave command - thanks for all the help with this and stay safe and enjoy the weekend...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Select the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Optimize Z-Wave Network... menu item and select the specific device that you want to instruct to rebuild it's neighbor list.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 am
norcoscia offline

Cool, I thought that was an all or nothing function (so never messed with it / looked at it) - thanks so much -- that capability will really help me a lot moving forward.

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1