Seamless Swapping devices from Insteon to Z-Wave?

Posted on
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:24 pm
sumocomputers offline

Seamless Swapping devices from Insteon to Z-Wave?

I have about 30 Insteon Switchlincs and plan to replace them with Z-Wave Switches.

To save myself having to manually go through and change a lot of triggers, schedules, action groups, etc, I was hoping I could just edit each device, and change it from Insteon to Z-Wave.

This might seem like a silly question, but before I go do this en masse, is there anything I need to watch out for?

For instance, I know Insteon has direct linking between devices that Indigo takes care of in terms of programming the devices to maintain that Insteon-Specific functionality.

Also, I have a few Insteon Smart Plugs and Wireless remotes, so not sure what happens if you start replacing Insteon devices with Z-Wave ones.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Seamless Swapping devices from Insteon to Z-Wave?

Yes you can - just double click the device you want to replace. In the Type popup, select Z-Wave and proceed as you normally would with adding a new Z-Wave device. Insteon links will be lost obviously but everywhere the device is used with normal (non Insteon specific) commands it will work correctly. If you replace a Dimmer with an On/Off device you'll start getting some odd errors in your Event Log if you have anything that dims/brightens a load since it will no longer be able to do that, but it should mostly just work. Replacing devices with something that's completely different will result in lots of errors like that probably... :wink:

Note that Insteon links in other devices that point to the Insteon device that you replaces won't be updated, so they will in effect be dead links which you can explicitly remove from the Insteon device links dialog.

You'll probably want to try to replace devices closer to your Indigo Server (and your Z-Wave interface) first and work your way outward. That will keep the Z-Wave network routes that are built dynamically in good shape. I'd also recommend replacing one or two (at most) at a time to reduce confusion about which device is which.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:18 pm
sumocomputers offline

Re: Seamless Swapping devices from Insteon to Z-Wave?

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for!

Page 1 of 1