Inovelli 3-way installation mentions 'Z-wave Association'

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm
plaurent offline

Inovelli 3-way installation mentions 'Z-wave Association'

The Inovelli docs mention 'Z-wave Association' when configuring two Inovelli switches in a 3-way configuration. I want the same switch experience on both ends, so an aux switch will not do in this case.

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/ ... imitations

Mentions in case 1 that 'Z-Wave Association' is the best way to have the switches behave as if they were both controlling the endpoint. The method appears to function much like the Caseta switches in that the remote switch is simply a remote control that controls another physical switch that is directly attached to the load.

Does Indigo have the capacity to configure the 'Z-Wave Association'? I don't own any Inovelli switches, but would like to convert my Caseta installation to them. Why? The apparent inability to detect the button press on the Caseta switch is a big limitation.

Many thanks in advance for your time!!

Posted on
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Inovelli 3-way installation mentions 'Z-wave Association

Yes, Indigo can create the necessary associations.

Before you do, however, you should read this great article on Inovelli's support website. I was just looking through it last week in fact. After reviewing, I decided to go with companion switches in the 3-way configuration. Note that you can probably create Indigo triggers to rectify the sync issue that's discussed in the article (similar issues exist with keeping Insteon switches in sync), but I didn't want to go that route since it was less necessary to have the notification capability at each switch in the 3-way.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:12 am
plaurent offline

HI Jay, thanks for the response. We referenced the same article. I totally get the simplistic approach, but I also value the consistent presentation of technology for the experience.

I like what Caseta does for the solution (I have it deployed everywhere), but what annoys the bejesus out of me is the apparent inability to read that a non-pico switch for button events. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but I have poked around quite a bit. The crux here is to determine that a light has been commanded physically off, and ignore the sensors telling the lights to illuminate. I know, a little topic drift here... sorry. Anyway, this is why the interest in Z-wave switches.

Posted on
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

plaurent wrote:
I like what Caseta does for the solution (I have it deployed everywhere), but what annoys the bejesus out of me is the apparent inability to read that a non-pico switch for button events. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but I have poked around quite a bit. The crux here is to determine that a light has been commanded physically off, and ignore the sensors telling the lights to illuminate. I know, a little topic drift here... sorry.

If you're using the Lutron plugin, open a thread in that forum and we can discuss this. I don't understand from this little snippet what's really going on.

viewforum.php?f=217

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1