Z-Wave Repeater and sporadic Z-wave issues

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm
Vig offline

Z-Wave Repeater and sporadic Z-wave issues

I am having sporadic issues with some z-wave devices, so I purchased couple of extenders (Aeotec Range externder6) . My controller (ZStick Gen5) includes the devices just fine and Indigo reports it, but I can't Define/Sync it, (the same issue with other Multisensor6 sensors - just keep timing out).
Anyway to troubleshoot this? More logs? Increase timeout (timeout seems too short - about 5sec)?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.54.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.54.45 PM.png (59.14 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.53.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.53.20 PM.png (104.97 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave Repeater and sporadic Z-wave issues

If you move, just for troubleshooting, the repeater to be within a few feet of the Z-Stick does it then sync?

For the Multisensor 6 are you waking it? If so, does it work if you move it to be near the Z-Stick?

I'm trying to determine if the problem is a range issue or something else.

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 pm
Vig offline

matt (support) wrote:
If you move, just for troubleshooting, the repeater to be within a few feet of the Z-Stick does it then sync?

For the Multisensor 6 are you waking it? If so, does it work if you move it to be near the Z-Stick?

I'm trying to determine if the problem is a range issue or something else.

I moved it to about 15ft from the Zstick and it worked on the 3rd time. What is the Zwave signal range that I need to keep repeaters spaced out? The ZStick is in my server room in the basement but I have many Cat6 cables running around the house from that locations, would ZStick work if I extend USB over Cat6 to somewhere that's better? Or I guess I could just buy couple more of the repeaters if that's going to make the difference and put them close to each other.

All my Miltisensors 6 are hardwired for power, I was under impression no waking needed in that case.

Posted on
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Vig wrote:
What is the Zwave signal range that I need to keep repeaters spaced out?

The range is going to vary based on the module type (newer modules have better range). I've read it is recommended to have modules within 30 feet of each other, but that is going to vary based on house / wall construction as well as RF interference. Antenna orientation will also play a factor, so you might try just moving and repositioning the Z-Stick a bit (USB hub can help with this). It might just be in a particularly bad spot or orientation.

Vig wrote:
The ZStick is in my server room in the basement but I have many Cat6 cables running around the house from that locations, would ZStick work if I extend USB over Cat6 to somewhere that's better?

I'd recommend trying to get it working in its current location. Adding an IP/USB bridge will just be adding additional complexity IMO and should be avoided unless it is unavoidable.

Vig wrote:
All my Miltisensors 6 are hardwired for power, I was under impression no waking needed in that case.

I believe that is true, but I'm not 100% sure.

Page 1 of 1