Making the ZStick gen 2 to gen 5 jump

Posted on
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:08 pm
ken_jacobs offline

Making the ZStick gen 2 to gen 5 jump

I finally made the switch from ZStick gen 2 to gen 5 and thought I would share some observations. My Zwave environment is around 25 devices and I made the switch using the exclusion/inclusion method for each device. My iMac is located upstairs and all the devices are downstairs. I used the gen 2 ZStick to exclude a device and my iPad running Splashtop, a remote access to the iMac, to perform the inclusion. Actually things went much faster than expected.

I installed new GE in wall dimmers and switches with toggles. They are somewhat smaller than the previous generation and they automatically figure out line and load connections.

I could not back up the new gen 5 with Fusion on the iMac. It seems as there is no flow control on the ZStick data and any loading of the cpu by the system, etc, forced a loss of data. I eventually used a borrowed PC laptop to generate a backup file and create a second ZStick.

Posted on
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:29 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Making the ZStick gen 2 to gen 5 jump

Thanks for taking the time to report on your experience.

I keep an "antique" Windows laptop on hand for just such a thing. Somehow, it's able to run Windows 10.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1