Z-wave commands to set Inovelli Red default on level?

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:43 am
Brendan offline

Z-wave commands to set Inovelli Red default on level?

Hi all,

Similar to Spencer J Robert's recent post, I got a couple of Inovelli Red dimmer switches to test them out with Indigo before ordering a giant pile of them for my house. I'm trying to figure out how to set the default on level via Indigo. The switch supports default levels for when you use the switch manually and when it's toggled via automation. I know it's possible to set those levels programmatically with Hubitat and SmartThings, via the use of a "child device", but that's a feature of the drivers Inovelli provides for those systems. So I'm trying to figure out the raw z-wave commands to set those parameters.

According to this page, parameters 9 and 11 are the ones I want to set: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/pro ... 38/configs

So how do I construct the raw z-wave command to address them? Hex value of parameter number, parameter size, parameter value? Something like 0x09 0x01 0x[00-63]?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Brendan

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:57 am
howartp offline

Re: Z-wave commands to set Inovelli Red default on level?

If you only want to set it once, you don’t need the Zwave commands.

Indigo > Interfaces > Zwave > Manage configuration parameters.

Read the param you want first to make sure you have the right size and value, then once you’re happy, write a new value.

The device will need to be awake so you might need the appropriate button/click sequence on the device to wake it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:03 am
Brendan offline

I don't want to only set it once. I want to set it multiple times per day. :D

But that dialog is certainly useful for experimenting to figure out if I'm tickling the right bits. I'll use that to conduct some experiments.

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The same UI is also available from the Actions panel/tab (Schedules, Trigger, Action Group dialogs) by selecting the action Type Z-Wave Actions->Modify Configuration Parameter.

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Note: Indigo currently behaves in a way that's somewhat misleading when it comes to Z-Wave dimmers. Up until recently, all Z-Wave dimmers (at least all the ones we have experience with) will turn back on to the level they were when they were turned off when sent the ON Z-Wave command. In Indigo, we use that behavior as the pattern for updating the internal dimmer state when Indigo commands a device to turn on so that it appears in the UI and to triggers, etc, to operate a bit faster than it might naturally behave - consider it an optimization to help with system response.

Some of the newer dimmers, like the Inovelli (and at least one Zooz) allow you to set a specific default brightness level that the device goes to when turned on (behavior that our Insteon users will recognize).

When this behavior is enabled, Indigo will immediately set the brightness to what it was before it went off, but then will get updated when the device reports its real brightness. Visually, if you happen to be looking at Indigo, you'll see it. More importantly though, triggers may mis-fire. For instance, you have a trigger that fires when the brightness of a device becomes greater than 75. The default ON value is 60, but the last time the light was on it was at 100. Sending an ON command from Indigo will automatically set the internal brightness state of the Indigo device to 100 (last level) which will cause the trigger to fire. A few seconds later, the real brightness from the device will get reported (the correct value of 60) but by then the trigger will have already fired.

For many, this probably won't be a show-stopper, but we wanted to point out this behavior so perhaps it won't be quite as startling if it happens to you. We plan on addressing this in a future version (not 7.5) but for the time being it is how it works.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:38 pm
Brendan offline

Ah, that's what that value flash is. I'd noticed it in Indigo when I set the default on and then send a light on command. I'm wasn't at the house while I was trying it, so I couldn't see if the light itself was flashing. As long as it's just in Indigo, I can work around it.

Is "Modify Configuration Parameter" also exposed to Python via the z-wave plugin? I have a lot of lights, so I'd prefer to have one script handle them all, rather than have individual actions for each light and time of day. If so, what's the syntax? I can't find anything about it in the documentation.

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try something like:

Code: Select all
zwavePlugin = indigo.server.getPlugin("com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.zwave")
dev = indigo.devices[456990130]   # change device ID
props = {
  'paramIndex':9,    # change param index
  'paramSize':1,
  'paramValue':5     # change value
}
zwavePlugin.executeAction("modifyConfigParm", deviceId=dev.id, props=props)

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:10 pm
Brendan offline

Thanks, Matt! That works great.

Now I get to order a giant pile of Inovelli switches…

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 7.5 will have some goodies for you (for the current Inovelli switches)... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:57 am
7rdr7 offline

Looking forward to 7.5! I've got a house full of Inovelli, and they are a great product!

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:30 am
DaveL17 offline

7rdr7 wrote:
Looking forward to 7.5! I've got a house full of Inovelli, and they are a great product!

+1

A great company. You can tell they like this stuff as much as we do.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1