Replacing a Z wave stick

Posted on
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:13 pm
ken_jacobs offline

Replacing a Z wave stick

If I upgrade my gen 2 stick to gen 5 stick, what is the process.
1. Must I do an exclusion of each device using the gen 2 stick?
2. Do I include devices with the new stick, performing the inclusion operation one device at a time?
3. Is there a way to map gen 2 data onto the gen 5 stick?

Thanks for the help.

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Replacing a Z wave stick

ken_jacobs wrote:
1. Must I do an exclusion of each device using the gen 2 stick?

You must exclude them, but that can be done with either stick.

ken_jacobs wrote:
2. Do I include devices with the new stick, performing the inclusion operation one device at a time?

That's the way I recommend doing it so you don't end up with a long list of generic node information in the popup when you edit your existing Indigo devices to match them up. However, if you are super careful to document exactly which device you include (in what order) then you could probably do them in batches by carrying the stick around. Not devices that need to be included with encryption (locks, etc) because those have to be included from Indigo directly.

ken_jacobs wrote:
3. Is there a way to map gen 2 data onto the gen 5 stick?

I believe there is a backup/restore Windows app that Aeotec supplies that might do it (someone who has done it is welcome to chime in), but you can't do it from your Mac/Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 pm
ken_jacobs offline

Thanks for the response. Having never done a mass exclusion, I have a question:

Once the controller is placed in exclusion mode and carried to the first device for the exclusion process, can the controller then be moved to the next device, etc, without first returning to the computer usb connection.

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 am
Umtauscher offline

I have written a howto where I describe what has to be done to move a complete installation.
http://www.indigodomo.com/library/411/

It is very complicated, if you have only a few devices, it would be faster to do it manually as Jay suggests. In my case the installation consisted of +100 devices, so it was worth the effort.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

ken_jacobs wrote:
Once the controller is placed in exclusion mode and carried to the first device for the exclusion process, can the controller then be moved to the next device, etc, without first returning to the computer usb connection.

Yes - you can exclude as many as you want without going back to the Mac (in fact you don't need to go back to the Mac at all if you're only excluding devices).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1