reversing magnet on/off for Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 6

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:43 pm
welchgregusa offline

reversing magnet on/off for Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 6

Has anyone had luck using the option to reverse the magnet on/off state changes for the Aeotec Z-wave Door / Window Sensor 6 ( ZW112 )? It does not seem to work for me, no matter what I try, with two brand new units.

Not critical—I can reverse triggers with no ill effect, I think, but it's at least puzzling.

I've had some good discussion w/ Aeotec support (very helpful) and tried various configuration changes, but nothing works—neither checking "Reverse ON / OFF commands for magnet switch" in the device settings nor changing parameter 1 reverses the state.

What I've found interesting, and the Aeotec guy said he had see on occasion before, is that when I set the reverse flag the unit appears to (according to the Indigo log) send TWO state updates for every state change: one correctly reversed and then one that is not reversed. So it's as if the second "not reversed" state/message is overriding the first "reversed" state.

So for example, when in the NOT reversed state I see, and I move the magnet close I see

Z-Wave received "Shade Up, KIT Window (Z)" status update is off

When I move the magnet away, I see

Z-Wave received "Shade Up, KIT Window (Z)" status update is on

when I set the parameter to "reverse" and I move the magnet close I see "double" messages (on then off)

When I move the magnet away ("reverse" setting), I again see "double" messages (off then on)

So the end result, after the second message/state change, is that the "reverse" is behaving the same as the normal.

Anyone have success reversing for this particular Aeotec z-wave device?

BTW, setting the reverse parameter DOES work for me w/ Aeotec's "Door / Window Sensor 7" just not the smaller 6.

Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: reversing magnet on/off for Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 6

I haven't tried it, but you might try resetting the module by excluding and re-including it (then setting the reverse parameter again). Also try NOT using encryption when re-including it (if you used encryption the first time), as that complicates the process and might be causing a firmware bug to surface.

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:07 pm
welchgregusa offline

Thanks Matt. I did try a factory reset, include/exclude, sync, etc. (forgot to mention), and am not using encryption. I read somewhere to only use encryption for z-wave locks, which makes sense, and that's what I do.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:03 am
howartp offline

I bought two last week but contrary to people’s answers, I’m struggling with range on the one I’ve installed.

I can certainly test out this for you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:05 am
welchgregusa offline

Matt (in particular), the Aeotec support person asked me to try changing parameter 121 to 2, which I attempted to do using "Modify configuration parameter..." but for some reason I do not seem to be able to write/change parameter 121. I can read it fine, but when I attempt to write (Save) a value the "Param index:" field label turns red, and it seems the parameter was not written. See the attached figure showing what I mean. Do you know why Indigo won't let me (it seems) change that parameter?
Attachments
Param_index.jpg
Param_index.jpg (435.09 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Once the Param Index turns red hover the cursor/mouse over it and it should show you more details about the error, although in this case it may not be that useful. Also open the Event Log window and copy/paste its contents into a reply after you attempt to change the value.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Actually, I think I know why that failed. Indigo has parameter 121 marked to always be "forced" to value 1, and thus won't allow the user to change it via the UI. Indigo does this with parameters on modules that alter what types of commands they send which would break how Indigo updates/catches the state change reporting. In this case, however, Indigo actually listens for both Basic and Sensor Binary reports so as long as the value isn't 0 Indigo will catch the commands and update the state (in theory at least). But because Indigo has that parameter flagged to be forced to 1 the UI isn't going to allow the change to 2 (or 3).

However, you can probably still get away with the change by using the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Send Raw Z-Wave Command... menu item. Select the device and use these values for the packet:

0x70 0x04 0x79 0x01 0x02

(the 2nd to last byte is the size of the value which is 1 in this case, and the last byte is the actual value you want)

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 am
welchgregusa offline

Ah...it's set as read-only. See attached hover image. Log doesn't show anything when I attempt to write/save, only when I (successfully) read—when reading it says "retrieved parameter 121 "Operation flags" is 1". Is there anything I can do to tell Indigo to allow a write/save? Or is that restriction coming from the hardware?

FYI, per a request from the Aeotec support person I'm going to try and use Windows to change settings, etc. I don't have a Windows machine per se (hardware), so I'm going to try a virtual machine on VirtualBox. I'll be amazed if a virtual machine can be used for this purpose, but my virtual WindowsXP install does seem to grab the Z-stick when I configure it to use that USB device (passed through from the Mac). Virtual machine, Windows XP, how could this work? :) I'll update if/as I learn more.

Thanks Matt.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.56.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.56.37 AM.png (38.88 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:29 am
welchgregusa offline

Matt, excellent re. the "raw command"—I'm not sure what's going on but when I tried that, it seemed to work, at least at first.

Z-Wave sent "Shade Up, KIT Window 2 (Z)" raw command [70 04 79 01 02]
When I then do a sync of the device (from "Define and Sync..."), it seems to think 121 is now 2.

Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 121 "Operation flags" is 2
However the "double" state change/message (second seeming to cancel the first) still occurs. So I don't know whether the parameter change (121 to 2) really did not happen, or whether the Aeotec tech's thought that this might eliminate the double state/message didn't pan out.

Interestingly if I modify parameter 121 to be 2 via the raw commands, when I sync the device it appears to have succeed, and yet if instead READ current value using "Modify Configuration Parameter..." for 121, I see a log entry saying it is 1!

Z-Wave retrieved parameter 121 "Operation flags" is 1
Then, if I immediately sync the device (same as I did above), it indeed is reporting 1.

Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 121 "Operation flags" is 1
So it could almost seem like the "Modify Configuration Parameter..." is actually changing the value, even though I only specified to read it, or it was never actually changed, despite appearing to be so.

I very carefully repeated the above steps several times, carefully making sure for example that I was reading the parameter as opposed to saving/writing it, and I see the same behavior each time.

I'll update the Aeotec support person, and let you know if the "Windows" approach yields anything.

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Don't resync it after you send the raw command. Indigo will force it back to a value of 1 on re-sync.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:35 am
welchgregusa offline

Ah, got it. It’s still not working but I was thinking I could use the sync to check the value. I will “not do that” and instead rely on the read from the modify parameter dialog. I’ll let you know as I learn more. Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm
welchgregusa offline

Boy, it sure seems like a firmware issue. I had purchased two units initially, to test. Both had firmware 1.0.3. Deciding I would just invert the logic, I ordered a bunch more. They arrived yesterday, and they are all firmware 1.0.2, and they all worked flawlessly w.r.t. reversing the magnet semantics—they immediately changed the flag when I set it, and functioned exactly as they should. So...it seems that the "double message" is something that got introduced in 1.0.3. I've ordered a couple more, and just hoping they arrived as 1.0.2. I'll let Aeotec know.

Incidentally, anyone know if firmware updates on a Mac are possible? I looked once and only saw Windows options.

Posted on
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59 am
welchgregusa offline

@Matt: for what it's worth, the Aeotec support person said "It is likely a support issue with the newer library in Indigo, I'll speak with their team and see if they know any information about this issue and see if we can resolve it or if i can perform tests here." Not saying I agree, just passing that along.

Page 1 of 1