Adding Z-Wave for first time - Best interface?

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 am
Captain Audio offline

Adding Z-Wave for first time - Best interface?

Hi all, after using Indigo for a decade, I'm finally adding Z-Wave to the system (solely to control my Bali Blinds). The blinds are in an upstairs bedroom and the Mac mini (running Indigo 6.1.11 and Mac OS 10.11.6) is downstairs in a cabinet.

What is the best Z-Wave interface for this application? I've looked at the two suggested interfaces, but also read that people were having success with the Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Interface. I know it's more pricey than the other two options, but I don't mind if it will be more stable and easier to set up. I actually have an ethernet port in the bedroom that I could plug it into, and the WiFi signal there is strong as well.

I'm not adverse to upgrading the OS and Indigo software on the Mac, for what it's worth.

Thanks for any advice!

Todd

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Adding Z-Wave for first time - Best interface?

Hopefully others will chime in too, but I would recommend a USB interfaces, either the Z-Stick Gen5 or the Z-WaveMe USB Stick (ZME UZB1). Note the latter is only supported in Indigo 7.4.1+.

I wouldn't recommend the Z-NET unless you specifically need the controller to be located remotely from the Mac. A direct USB connection is likely going to be more reliable (and has been tested much more thoroughly with Indigo) than using a IP based controller.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 am
jalves offline

I'm using a Gen 5 Z-Wave Stick, plugged directly into the back of the machine running Indigo. I do have a bunch of z-wave devices spread around the house (Including 4 Bali Blinds). I don't see any issues in reaching the furthest device. No doubt that's because the powered z-wave devices also act as relays to those further away.

In the case of the OP just getting started in Z-wave and the device to be controlled being potentially too far away for the controller to reach it from the computer, I would suggest simply buying an inexpensive plug-in z-wave device and place it somewhere approximately half way between the devices. Actually, I'd try the system first without doing that. You may find it works out of the box. Then you can slowly add other z-wave devices to your system as needed/desired. A popular item seems to be door locks (I've got 2) and garage door openers.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am
Captain Audio offline

Thanks so much! That sounds like a perfect solution. I was gonna ask (and I'm pretty sure I knew the answer) if the Insteon devices close to the Bali Blinds would help connect, but I figured that wasn't the case. So starting with just the stick and a cheap secondary device will work. I could even buy them through Amazon, and if I don't need the secondary device, I could return it (although at that price, might as well just use it.)

So the stick will work with my current set-up? (Indigo 6.1.11 and OS 10.11.6)

Thanks again.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Your current Indigo version will probably work, but it will depend on what Z-Wave modules you want to control. Most blinds work without an Indigo definition, so it will probably work. Of course if you upgrade to the latest version you'll have the most Z-Wave compatibility with modules, so we recommend that. :) I believe version 6.1.11 is almost 4 years old now, so lots of new features in the latest release.

Page 1 of 1