Fibaro FGD212 Dimmer 2 power spikes

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm
palantir offline

Fibaro FGD212 Dimmer 2 power spikes

Folks -

I have about 24 Fibaro Dimmers 2 in my house since about 16 months now. These all controle low power LED spots. I'm not using a Fibaro bypass on them. Loads per dimmer varies between 0.4 (!!!) and 9W.

Since a few weeks, I started noticing that sometimes the lights suddenly go brighter, stay like that for a little while and then dim again. I'm not pressing any buttons when that happens and Indigo is not sending any instructions to them. Spooky!

So I lowered the power report threshold parameter to 1% and enabled device logging to Influxdb using the (amazing) Indigo Grafana Home Dashboard plugin (http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/167/)] by VTMikels. The attached screenshot shows the power usage for tonight. There are some very obvious fluctuations visible at 21:10, 22:00, 22:30, 23:00 and 23:30. I wasn't however operating the light and there are no timers/triggers which were. Besides, I have several other dimmers showing the similar (but at different times) behavior.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Could be it the LED lights themselves which are aging? As they get older, could they start drawing more power suddenly and then reduce again, or would it be the dimmer itself wearing out perhaps?

Thanks for any suggestions what could cause this.
Ronald
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 00.02.19.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 00.02.19.png (41.36 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2020 4:14 pm
palantir offline

Re: Fibaro FGD212 Dimmer 2 power spikes

Found it! Turns out this was caused by the so called ripple control signal (“toonfrequent” for any Dutch readers). The Fibaro dimmer has a config parameter to deal with this. I set parameter 38 to 0 and the problem went away...

Page 1 of 1