New House -- Same Z Wave -- Best Practice?

Posted on
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 pm
Dual offline

New House -- Same Z Wave -- Best Practice?

I have moved into a different house and brought Indigo with me. All of my devices are Z Wave. Devices will be in different locations than before and therefore the nearest devices (repeaters) will have changed. From what I have learned on the forums, I think I should:

1. Locate Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 in permanent location and start Indigo.

2. Install AC powered devices that act as repeaters, starting with the closest to the Z-Stick and working my way further out (e.g. Aeotec Range Extenders and Z-Wave receptacles). Re-sync each device once it is installed.

3. Install devices that do NOT act as repeaters, starting with the closest to the Z-Stick and working my way further out (e.g. contact sensors, motion sensors, flood sensors, sirens). Re-sync each device once it is installed.

4. Optimize Z Wave network.

Is this correct? Or should I be doing it differently? How?

Cheers

John

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am
howartp offline

Re: New House -- Same Z Wave -- Best Practice?

Correct

Though probably no need to optimise as you’ve basically done that by your careful installation schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm
Dual offline

I have begun. Syncing does NOT appear to update the list of nearest neighbors. Should it? Or do I have to optimize along the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 am
howartp offline

Ok I’m thinking out loud here.

No, I don’t think it does retrospectively update neighbours on devices already synced; the log shows your new device finding its neighbours, so it knows about them. It doesn’t show updating those existing devices to add the new device you’ve just synced.

If you think about your house in an ideal world of a flat 2D set of concentric circles, with Zstick bang in the centre, and your closest devices spread around circle 1, then your next devices spread around circle 2, etc

On this ideological model, when you add a new device on circle 3, it needs to know the route through circles 2 and 1, via the neighbours it’s found, to get to Zstick.

Again on this ideological model, the device on circle 2 doesn’t need to know (be updated with new neighbour) that the new device on circle 3 now exists, as its preferred route is never going to be outwards bound away from Zstick.

That was my thinking about my answer not to need optimising. However your house is not a 2D flat set of circles; it’s a 3D mess of walls, ceilings, sofas, electrical equipment and people interfering with the Zwave signal strengths at any one point, so the preferred route from a circle 2 device might actually be to hop outbound to circle 3, rotate around circle 3, then back in via circle 2 and 1; to achieve that you would need to update the neighbours on circle 2 after adding your new device on circle 3, so .... yes, you should optimise!

I’ve never explored why we need optimisation before and thought it was a gimmick to help certain situations that I’ve never come across, but now I’ve thought about it out loud I’m certainly going to redo mine!

Peter

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 am
howartp offline

(Ps, do it at the end, not as you go)

Page 1 of 1