Indigo support for Honeywell Thermostat

Posted on
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm
dduff617 offline

Indigo support for Honeywell Thermostat

I have a Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro Z-Wave Plus Smart Thermostat (TH6320WF2003) and have been living with it for a while.

It mostly works in Indigo. I have two small issues.

First issue: Unit somehow does not pass temperature sensor updates to Indigo reliably. I find that I get regular updates for the device state (including whether the unit is heating/cooling, whether fan is running, etc.). I also get frequent updates to the sensed humidity. For some reason, I do not get regular updates to the sensed temperature, at least with the device settings set to "enable polling: yes, poll-device: only when activity detected". I have recently experimented with changing to polling every 5 minutes, and with that setting, as expected I see a lot more data coming from the unit, but I can also see there there are a lot of changes that are being ignored and not getting sent when the unit is in "only when activity detected" mode. So I suspect that something is wrong here either in terms of how Indigo is figuring out when to poll ("activity detection") or with how it actually polling the device. Looking at graphs of updates, I see humidity changes arriving many dozens of times per day, I see heat-on/heat-off changes arriving multiple times per hours, but I only see temperature updates arriving a few times per day on average. Further confirming that there is some kind of problem, if I randomly click the "send status request" button in Indigo, I'll often see the temp update and shift more .5, 1, or sometimes even 1.5 degrees. So I may possibly be misunderstanding what it means for polling to be set ON and to "only when activity detected", but it seems clear that Indigo is recording easily 10X more changes in state for this device (to humidity, for example) than it is recording changes to temperature. In other words, evidence seems strong that Indigo is NOT polling the temperature whenever there is "activity" on this device.

See attached screen shot from grafana - where you can see the left half of the plot with polling set to "only when activity detected" and the right half of the plot with polling every 5 mins. You can see dramatic change in the blue line (temperature), but little or no change in the red line (humidity).

Second issue: Unit has three settings for fan mode - on, auto, and circulate. Indigo only recognizes the first two. Manual describes circulate mode as "The fan will run at random intervals at least 35% of the time to keep air circulating throughout your home." I like using this because it keeps temperature balanced and also keeps air filtered. I can set this mode on the thermostat itself, but can't set or detect it from Indigo.

Here's are the device z-wave details:
Z-Wave Indigo Device " Thermostat 0FA" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 7.4.0
Node ID: 52
Model: General Thermostat (v2)
Model ID: 00110008
Manufacturer: Honeywell
Manufacturer ID: 0039
Protocol Version: 4.61
Application Version: 1.03
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 6
Class Name: General Thermostat (v2)
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 08 : 06
Command Class Base: 40
Command Versions: 20v1 40v1 42v1 43v1 44v1 85v1 86v1 81v1 80v1 6Cv1 70v1 71v1 72v1 73v1 55v1 59v1 31v5 9Fv1 5Av1 5Ev1 45v1
Encryption Status: Not Supported
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming
Neighbors: - none -
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: - none -
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 15.35.25.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 15.35.25.png (138.06 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:04 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: Indigo support for Honeywell Thermostat

I'm circling back on this issue, over a year later. I remain suspicious that something is not quite right, either in Indigo implementation of polling or in my understanding.

Should it be possible that with polling set to "only when activity detected", I see frequent updates in humidity, but way less infrequent updates in temperature? It seems to me if Indigo is polling humidity, it should also be polling temperature, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

It seems unlikely there are communication problems or messages getting lost - if that were the case, I wouldn't see frequent humidity updates.

It seems unlikely that the issue is that temperature is just not changing very much OR that the humidity sensor just has more noise or random fluctuation- - this seems seems to be ruled out by the fact that if I force polling every 5 minutes, I see not only more measurements (obviously) but also many more changes in temperature value.

Also a separate "issue" (feature request): Some z-wave devices such as sensors have a checkbox for "hide status message broadcasts in logs". My other z-wave thermostat (CT100 Plus) has three separate checkboxes for "hide temperature message broadcasts in logs" and ditto for humidity and equipment state. However this device does not have any such options. Thus, when I force polling to every 5 minutes, I get lots of useless log traffic.

Posted on
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

In this case Indigo's UI isn't very clear. Poll after activity only polls after it receives a Z-Wave node info or hail packet from the module. Those commands are sometimes sent by older switches that don't broadcast out state changes but instead send out a "something happened" message (node info or hail). Indigo can then detect that and poll out the current state. It is unlikely a thermostat is sending those commands, however, so the status requests are never likely happening regardless of the poll interval you are setting.

It seems like the thermostat itself is a bit buggy in that it is sending humidity sensor updates much more frequently than temperature. If anything I would expect the reverse. I assume you've checked the manual to see if it has any Z-Wave configuration parameters that can be tweaked to increase the frequency of the temperature sensor broadcasts?

You should be able to setup your own polling after activity via a Z-Wave Command Received trigger type from the device on Any Command, or you could create a repeating schedule that polls out (sends status request) for the temperature sensor every N minutes.

dduff617 wrote:
Second issue: Unit has three settings for fan mode - on, auto, and circulate. Indigo only recognizes the first two. Manual describes circulate mode as "The fan will run at random intervals at least 35% of the time to keep air circulating throughout your home."

Indigo currently doesn't detect that fan mode (as you've noticed). Supporting it is on our request list.

dduff617 wrote:
Also a separate "issue" (feature request): Some z-wave devices such as sensors have a checkbox for "hide status message broadcasts in logs". My other z-wave thermostat (CT100 Plus) has three separate checkboxes for "hide temperature message broadcasts in logs" and ditto for humidity and equipment state. However this device does not have any such options. Thus, when I force polling to every 5 minutes, I get lots of useless log traffic.

I've added a device definition for this thermostat to the next version of Indigo that will show the Hide status message checkboxes.

Posted on
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:00 am
dduff617 offline

Thanks for the response, Matt.

I first tried setting up a trigger that just wrote a message to the logs, triggering on any z-wave command received from the thermostat. This seemed promising - it was getting updates roughly every 15 minutes or so. So I figured I'd add an action of type Device Actions>Thermostat Controls>Get All Status. However, the next time it triggered, it went into an trigger loop, since apparently each execution of Get All Status action was resulting in multiple z-wave commands being received., each of which was re-triggering the alert - boom.

So I added additional steps - I first had the trigger disable itself. Then I did the Get All Status action delayed by two seconds just to make sure it came after the trigger was disabled. Then I had the trigger re-enable itself after 20 seconds, assuming that was long enough for all the z-wave commands to complete.

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

matt (support) wrote:
I've added a device definition for this thermostat to the next version of Indigo that will show the Hide status message checkboxes.

Indigo 7.5 is now available and includes the UI change mentioned above.

Page 1 of 1