Z-Wave vs. Insteon

Posted on
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:46 pm
jltnol offline

Z-Wave vs. Insteon

So not to start a turf war, I've got a house with mixed stuff... some Insteon, some Z-Wave. I've been having some problems with one... make that TWO of my Insteon devices, so decided to run a 3-pass survey just to see what's going on. Both Insteon devices exhibit failing status... Sometimes during the surveys, they can be reached, sometimes they can't. Mostly, they can't.

But the one thing that quickly came into focus was the average ping time between the 2 protocols. I've done survey's before and for some reason never noticed... or just disregarded the difference between the two technologies. Z-wave ping times were all in the double digits.. as low as 33 and as high as 76. However Insteon ping times were all much, much higher... all in triple digits...the lowest was 218, and the highness 648, which of course, helps explain the latency in these systems.

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but its kind of an eye opening event for me. Clearly Z-wave is faster. Anywhere from 5% to 35%. I realize we're taking fractions of a second, but faster makes me happier.

I've got way too much invested just to walk away from Insteon(I just LOVE the Keypad Links), but the 2 failing Insteon devices will be replaced by Z-Wave ones very soon

Posted on
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave vs. Insteon

Yep - speed is definitely a big advantage to Z-Wave. With a good Z-Wave network, you can issue individual ON commands to multiple lights and they can appear to work almost simultaneously.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1