Can ZWave be as fast as LWRF?

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 am
noel1983 offline

Can ZWave be as fast as LWRF?

Hi all,
Hoping the collective power can help me.

In our bedroom I have LWRF wireless switches that control our bedside lights through Indigo logic (and they do other things too)

These work great and are instant in their response.

After a couple of minor issues where the buttons didn't work due to the mac mini doing an update or crashed etc for maximum WAF I made a change.

I've configured it so that the LWRF sockets controlling the lamps respond directly to the LWRF wireless switches.

LWRF remotes/switches can control multiple devices so one button push can be picked up by up to 3 devices I think it is.

So what that means is when I push a button the light turns on or off regardless of whether the mac mini is turned on or not.

If the mac is on and working then more stuff happens but the operation of the bedside lights, the important bit is bomb proof and it's fast.

Worth noting that LWRF commands that result in non LWRF actions is also very fast. i.e. a LWRF button that triggers Sonos to start playing is also almost instant.

Now.... on the rare occassions I restart the mac mini the RFXTRX interface typically doesn't work and needs some selection, re-selection and a few minutes of messing about to get it working.

So that got me thinking that maybe the time has come to remove LWRF and the RFXTRX and shift to 100% zwave.

So I've tried it with a Remotec ZR-90 8 button wireless device, it issues the command, indigo does its stuff and sends the command to the LWRF lights.

This takes around 0.75-1 second before the lights respond which is significantly worse than now and isn't as good as 'a lightswitch'

So my key question is, if I replaced the LWRF remote sockets with ZWave sockets can a ZWave remote send commands that are picked up directly by the Zwave socket AND by the zwave usb stick in the mac?

And will it be faster or is Zwave just slower than LWRF.

Thanks all and sorry for the long post but thought the background and detail might be helpful :)

Noel

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 am
shapa offline

Re: Can ZWave be as fast as LWRF?

ZWave associations should help

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 am
noel1983 offline

Re: Can ZWave be as fast as LWRF?

shapa wrote:
ZWave associations should help

Associating the zwave buttons with zwave devices?

Can I associate with a device and still have the commands picked up by indigo?

Page 1 of 1