Neighbours and connectivity issues

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:22 am
peszko offline

Neighbours and connectivity issues

I'm relatively new to z-wave and still with relatively few devices (22). I have one situation where I replaced my high load controller with z-wave (Aeotec Zwave Heavy Duty Appliance Smart Switch) Now the problem is that it is located outside in the farthest part of the back yard where z-wave didn't reach. So what I'v done is installed an extender (Aeotec range extender) outside. Its closer to the appliance switch then the house, but seems to work, most of the time. Its not super reliable though. So I have done network heal, but its still the same. The strange thing for me is what is shown as neighbours for both the appliance switch and the extender. They both only have each other as neighbours and no neighbours in the house, yet I can still reach them (not fully reliably though) When I tried without the repeater, then I can't access the appliance switch at all. How am I reaching the modules? I expected to see the repeater being a neighbour with some device in the house, and with the appliance module (hence the repater). What am I missing?

I guess, I'll try to install another repeater somewhere closer to the house (not that easy as I don't really have a plug in the middle of the yard :-))

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Neighbours and connectivity issues

Sounds like the repeater itself is on the far edge of the network. Does the next closest device to the repeater have the repeater in it's neighbor list? If so, then try resyncing the repeater a couple of times to see if you can get it to pick up that device in it's neighbor list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am
peszko offline

I didn't realize that a device can be a one way neighbour. I'll double check this afternoon. Is there an easy way, to show the link map for all the devices?

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 am
howartp offline

One of the utility plugins shows an x/y grid of neighbours. Zwave node matrix something?

Neighbours aren’t “one way” so your initial assumption is correct.

Jay is just seeing if the indoor one can shout louder than the repeater; once either one sees the other they should appear as neighbours to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

peszko wrote:
I didn't realize that a device can be a one way neighbour. I'll double check this afternoon. Is there an easy way, to show the link map for all the devices?

Well, without getting into the technical details, if device A knows about device B but B doesn't know about A, then there either was a failure when B was asking about neighbors OR B has a weaker radio signal than A does so A didn't hear the query. There should be reciprocal routes between devices but it's certainly possible that there isn't. Determining if this scenario is true will help to figure out how to fix it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:07 pm
mundmc offline

howartp wrote:
One of the utility plugins shows an x/y grid of neighbours. Zwave node matrix something?

That’s a thing! I need this. Searching...

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:58 am
DaveL17 offline

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:44 am
howartp offline

Excellent; I was clutching at straws trying to even remember it, never mind get the name right!

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 am
mundmc offline

Wow- super useful helpful debugging tool I wish I knew about earlier- thanks once again, Dave

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 am
peszko offline

I checked the other devices and non list the repeater as it's neighbour. I'll probably relocate the repeater and add a z-wave switch close to where the repeater was (it would replace an insteon switch that is already on the list for replacement). I might have to install a new circuit to put the repeater closer to the middle of they yard.

Just thinking about it, its amazing how much extra effort we put in to not having to walk to the switch to turn it on :-)

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:39 am
mwalker56 offline

Hi Peszko, did you manage to resolve your problem?

I'm suffering the same issue at the moment. As aprt of my network I have a TKBHome socket outlet dimmer in my sun room which is around 15m from an AEON extender in the garage that i'm hoping to connect a Fibaro multi-sensor in my summer house which is a further 15m from the extender.

I've re-synced the extender with it in position in the garage which Indigo seems to do successfully, but looking at the settings it has no neighbours. How is this possible if it is communicating with the Indigo server?

Trying to re-sync the sensor in the summer house unsurprisingly doesn't work.

Any suggestions welcome!

Mike

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:28 am
DaveL17 offline

I don't have one, but IIRC, the range extender doesn't have a neighbor list and simply rebroadcasts the packets it receives. What I don't recall is whether this counts as a hop or not (I think not, but don't count on that as being accurate).

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:05 am
Dual offline

I have Aeotec range extenders. They do have a neighbor list. Re-syncing does not change the list for me. I had to optimize the range extender instead. My testing has shown that re-syncing never updates the neighbors list for any devices. I have switched houses. As I installed all my old devices in my new house I started with those closest to my Z-Stick and worked my way out. Re-syncing did not update the neighbor list. So I optimized each device individually (not the network as a whole) as I installed it in its new location. The neighbor list was updated via each optimization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:08 pm
DaveL17 offline

I stand corrected!

Page 1 of 1